PDA

View Full Version : Please Help air mass meter

chisel
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi, I've had a problem that the symptoms are the same as last year when I had the air mass meter changed at dealers, so rather than pay them £130 for labour I bought a new air mass meter and changed it myself (30 minutes,novice) feeling really pleased with myself,went for a spin and there's no improvement,GUTTED.Do the fault codes have to be cleared from ECU or something like or have I missed something.Car (passat tdi130 estate,2001) starts ok;fuel comsumption seems better if anything; power dips after about 1 minute driving;really struggling uphill, could ther be another problem(hope not) please help, cheers!:(:confused:

Digidick
02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
A new MAf is just plug and play. Once its changed all should be well again so it looks like you have another problem. A search on here might give you a few more ideas of what it could be.

angus
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Had the same problem with the wifes TDI130, was the turbo pressure valve.

Cost 93 quid for part, labour, VAT, diagnostic time, didn`t even have to deliver & pick it up.
Unless you are 100% certain you know what the problem is, it must make more sense to find a good independant that won`t rip you off.

These things aren`t Morris Marinas, and usually you need the diagnostics to tell you whats up before you start buying bits.

Izalman
03-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I would agree with Angus - previous thread...

My 130 Sport was the same, had diagnostics done at the dealership and it showed manifold pressure & temp switch had sporadic fault. This switch has both functions within the one unit

I bought a new one from the dealership, fitted it - easy to see / work on - 2 screws and the cable connection to swap.

What a difference :beerchug:

Switch is located in he inlet duct at the rear of the engine, has both the Bosch & VW p/n on the label.

Check ebay 1st using the p/n as a search tool, I found several genuine new ones for auction at half the dealer price

Hope this helps

chisel
14-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I was abit hasty, have now had car on diagnostics at local auto leccy, he says turbo pressure valve is the problem and I am due to pick car up today, estimate £70 for job. Thanks all for replying.
P.S. I now have a spare air mass meter, LESSON LEARNT !