PDA

View Full Version : puzzled

artscot79
01-07-2008, 06:15 PM
okay guys i have a few puzzling questions as ive found out prior to the fan belt change it is apparent that the pump was running anti clockwise instead of clock wise so question 1 my temp gauge takes a while but gets up to just slightly past the halfway mark where it stays i can leave the engine running and 5 or so minutes later the fan will cut in and go off as it should but the gauge never changes im new to diesels so on a petrol it changes as you drive it usually drops yet mine doesnt budge is this normal? second on start up on a cold morning a metalic rattle comes from the gearbox but after the idle boost kicks in it dissapears and stays gone till its really cold again anyone have any ideas? and finally is it possible the water pump was damaged with it running the wrong way i was told it can run either way as some have pretensioners [i have spring loaded alternator] and with the pretensioner fitted the pump runs anti clockwise

artscot79
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
sorted it temp fine the annoying rattle was a dodgy timing belt tensioner not pulling the timing belt hard enough made a mess of the plastic cover as the belt was jumping in fact it almost tore its way through the timing belt something for all to be wary of as we all know the kind of damage that could have causedhttp://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif