PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control

RichardCranium
01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Being fit today...finally. The princely sum of £269. Its only £190 as a factory option!

They've lent me an 08 plate B7 Sline in red. First time i've ever driven one. No where near as nice as the B8.

Nice R8 in the car park, looking like it was ready to be picked up by its new owner. 'Drool'. Would have been a nice courtesy car for me:biglaugh:

Sheroo
01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Richard,

I hope I am not repeating this question but what is the difference between aftermarket fit and factory fit ? And where are you getting your done ?

RichardCranium
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM
dont think there is any difference. Hope not anyways:Blush2:

getting it done a Huddersfield Audi

Sheroo
01-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Sounds cool, please keep us up to date, do we get graphical images on the MMI etc ?

I might look at one myself.

tomtom20
01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I have Cruise control fitted (though off option list from new)

It is a tad annoying as it is on a stalk, just under the indicator one on the left of the steering wheel. I prefer steering wheel based buttons but hey. It works very well, up or down to increase of decrease speed, pull towards you to resume, away to cancel and all the way back to turn off. There is a button on the end to push in for setting the speed.

The best part is (and has been said before) it actually brakes the car physically. So say you are on a steep down hill you feel the brakes come on, or to test it out set it at a speed, then go above that speed by say 15 mph and resume the cruise control, you feel the car brake, not to firmly, and then maintains the set speed bang on. No MMI details alas, you get a green symbol light up on the speedo but what Audi were thinking I have no idea, as if you do 50 mph, the needle hides the cruise control light completely so bit silly place to put it in my mind.

My only worry is, that because the resume is to pull the lever towards you, and I know it is a different looking and smaller lever, that I will go to flash someone but grab the wrong lever and zoom off back to the present speed lol. So when not using it I always fully cancel it to be sure cos' I know what I am like.

jcb
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
RichardCranium - why didnt you order it when you ordered the car ?

RichardCranium
01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
RichardCranium - why didnt you order it when you ordered the car ?

An over sight on my part:Blush:

Went to pick it up at 5pm as arranged..... not ready. they were waiting for a code for it. So i'm still in the B7 Sline. DOnt know why they didnt ring me to tell me it wouldnt be ready. They'll be getting some tomorrow when i get it back

a8 tech
01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Fitting these daily now and you can also do it with vag com but its cheaper to factory order with the vehicle

RichardCranium
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Well the cruise control works fine. Fairly straight forward to use.

But..... The buttons on the steering wheel now dont work and the underside of the dash is covered in filthy finger prints. Boy did I let rip!!:zx11: A bloke from Audi was at my house within 45 mins with a courtesy car and took mine away!

First impressions of Audi's service department? Mmmm, cant swear on here, so i'll say not good and you can add your own expletive deletives where necessary.

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
they have coded the steering column electrics incorrectly

RichardCranium
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
they have coded the steering column electrics incorrectly

Thats what i thought. still a right pain the rear though.

Got a call from the service manager this evening. Most apologetic. Offered me a full valet. Asked him why i would i need a full valet on a brand new car?? So he said I can bank it until its needed.

Would prefer some nice merchandise instead:p

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
They could have come out with 5051 and changed the code.The long hex code for the engine control unit is calcuated via online connection and so is the steering column but you can manually adjust in coding two hex bin and change the hex code to enable the controls.I use my vag com at work for cruise as well as the long code helper is great.Audi dont supply the dealers with hex code breakdown and vag com do as audi sends the required alterations via online connection.
The operator send a request to alter the code and the server reads the exsisting code and compares with the production id and then alters the code to allow cruise but ive seen the code come back incorrect like yours and certain functions are missed hence why i back myself up with vag com.
It sounds like itd there first attempt at b8 cruise.

RichardCranium
02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you're right about it being the first time they've done it on a B8. With that in mind you'd think it would be double checked before completion. I also think they have rushed it through cos they cocked up with the dates as well, so have probably had to squeeze it in.

a8 tech
02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
They have tested the cruise but for some reason they have suffered brain freeze and forgot that they have altered more than just the cruise so i full check of the drivers operating fuctions should have been carried out.
Easy for me to say that but im sure it was just a mistake.Im sure there will be some sort of goodwill jesture and lots of groveling.:biglaugh:

RichardCranium
02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Im sure there will be some sort of goodwill jesture and lots of groveling.:biglaugh:

I hope so;). Some nice golf merchandise would go down a treat. :D

RichardCranium
03-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Got my car back this afternoon. looks like new again! Everything working fine now. Aparently they damaged a wire ???

Got the promise of a TT next time I need a courtesy car:D

Good to have it back. Cant believe how much better it is than the B7