PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Idle problem A3 1.6 sport

m3will
30-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi I have a 1999 t plate a3 1.6 sport. It has an idling problem in that it the revs are hunting up and down when you are standing still. my local garage put it on the diagnostics and say it is the idle control motor which is £242????????????????? Is this right, I have checked for airleaks and the manifold flaps so is there any thing else to check before I shell out ??

thanks

omegadirective
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Hey!

Check the throttle body. The throttle body will quite often get dirty and need to be cleaned out. Happened to me and my idle would not sit at the standard ~800rpm. It was sitting at 1,100RPM idle and would cut out altogether when sopping at lights.

If it HAS been cleaned out, check it has been electronically recalibrated using VAGCOM or similar. Most independants will do this for a decent price. Someone with VAGCOM could do it for you if you buy them a beer or two I reckon! :p

I would check that before forking out for anything else. Cost me next to nothing to get it cleaned out. You can also blip the throttle manually using the throttle body and that way you can tell if it sticks, which may also help to indicate a problem. Just be careful you don't get your fingers caught!

weebrads
04-07-2008, 12:35 AM
same thing with mine buddy,

turned out it was the lambda probe, the second 1{supposed to be 2}, its the 1 nearest the cat, sorted mine out straight away, i tried every thing like yourself, this was easily sorted for about 50 hoot and i stuck it in me self, after installing probe, disconnect the battery for about 10 mins or so to reset the ecu..........think thats what its for, and reconnect, leave her to idle and that should sort it!!!