PDA

View Full Version : Advice for changing the maf 1.9tdi

jalz
29-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Hello Guys,

Im a total newbie, so please bear with me. My car has experienced loss of power (I seem to get it back when I turn the ignition on and off). I did quite a lot of searching on the forum of similar problems and I've come to the conclusion that changing the maf is the first port of call, so I've ordered a new part from Audi, invoice says part no. A038 906 461 C for 56.50.

Anyway, cut to the chase, I want to attempt to fit it myself (I dont know much about cars, but I can certainly follow instructions). Looking under the bonnet, it seems as though there is a ring on the left hand side that secures it to some hose (A), and then on the right hand side you have two philips screws into a box(B).

Is it a simple case of removing these items and replacing the maf...and then reapplying these items, or are there washers etc attached to the hose that I should be worried about?

Secondly, Ive had a look at the ring (A)...how on earth do you get it off...im worries if I apply too much force,I'll damage it.

Sorry to ask these questions, but like I said im a total newbie that wants to learn - if you dont aske you'llver know!

Thanks to all that respond.

Jalz

Singlespeed
30-06-2008, 02:54 PM
The MAF sensor can be removed from the housing without disturbing 'A' or 'B'. Have a look here - How to replace the MAF (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6571)

Hope that helps,
Neil.

jalz
30-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks Single speed, is it really that easy?:biglaugh:

Once I undo the maf as suggested from the how to article, do I need to worry about cleaning the inside of the plastic in case its filthy with oil or something?

I was running my car last year with more oil than I should have had....

Thank you all...this is great if it works!

Singlespeed
30-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Yes it's easy if you have the correct bit for the screws. 1 plug, 2 screws. DON'T drop any thing down the hole as you will have to retreive it before starting the engine.

Look inside and if the housing is gunked up then it could be advisable to clean it, which would involve removing the parts you thought of originaly. Though there are lots of areas further down stream which would be worth a clean too. Do the MAF and see what its like.

jalz
30-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks again,

I'll pop over to my screfix and get a tamper proof torx....the fit is exactly the same as shown in the guide.

Regarding cleaning the case, I think I'll put a cloth down hole and give it a good clean, in the areas i can reach and not bother with the rest. How the heck do you take that ring out....do you have to use brute force? Does it bend out of shape or is it like an ring which is like elastic(i.e. bend back into a ring once you let go of it). Are there any washers etc, I need to worry about when removing th part if I have to that is?

What kind of stuff passes through that black casing?

Singlespeed
30-06-2008, 04:07 PM
What kind of stuff passes through that black casing?

Air, on its way from the airfilter to the compressor side of the turbo, then intercooler and engine. I doubt if this part of the intake would be gunked up, so probably no requirement to clean.

jalz
02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Just want to thank all of you on here.

I managed to replace the MAF yesterday as decribed in the how to guide.

The cars got a hell of alot more ooomph! havent taken it for a "Proper" drive on the motorway, but locally it seems awesome!

Now I wonder how easy it is to replace the radiator ;) - might have to get the garage to do this I suspect.....costed the part at audi for £105. No idea how much I should expect to pay for fitting.

Cheers :beerchug:

Singlespeed
02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Just want to thank all of you on here.

I managed to replace the MAF yesterday as decribed in the how to guide.

The cars got a hell of alot more ooomph! havent taken it for a "Proper" drive on the motorway, but locally it seems awesome!

Now I wonder how easy it is to replace the radiator ;) - might have to get the garage to do this I suspect.....costed the part at audi for £105. No idea how much I should expect to pay for fitting.

Cheers :beerchug:

Good news with the MAF.

For the radiator, you could try http://www.eurocarparts.com or https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/ I bet the price will be 1/2 of Audi, without being half the quality. Quite often it will be the same manufacturer.