PDA

View Full Version : Xcarlink problem ?

struttler
29-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi,

I've been experiencing this problem since install but has seemingly become worse in recent weeks. Basically during playback the music will simply stop for a random period of time while displaying track 60 or track 63 on the head unit. This will happen quite often without any idea as to why??:zx11: Eventually it will continue playback at the same point it stopped or even worse track 1 of disc 1.

I have tried replacing the ground wire on the off chance this could be the problem but with no success. I suspect it may have something to do with my mobile phone as when it pauses you can hear that noise that your phone can make when your near a landline phone or t.v.

I've only come across one other thread that describes this problem, however it was in spanish so not a great deal of help.

I've got a bose concert 2 and the xcarlink version is a usb Model V.

Any advise/help is greatly appreciated as i'm close to riping it out and trying out something else. Thanks in advance !

Frelon
27-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Just so that you do not feel alone, I too have the same problem! Not had time to evaluate yet but at present I am putting it down to a "dodgy" SD card that I bought on eBay. There are a number of postings on eBay asking you to watch out for fake cards - I guess I may have got one! When I have time I will try again with a "proper" one to see if it makes a difference.

Seems a pity that XCarlink, as one of the sponsors of this site, has not commented.

kurtas2006
27-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Try genuine SD cards, they are cheap enough from places like play.

Are the xcarlinks the ones sold on ebay ? These may be cheap chinese copies and have poor build quality.

Frelon
27-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes, I bought mine from eBay, but would you know how to spot a fake one? Here is a guide from eBay - clicky (http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-SanDisk-Ultra-Secure-Digital-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001254881QQ_trksidZp3286. c0.m17)!

I thought all XCarlinks were made in China, or somewhere similar. I cannot see any European manufacturer making these!

struttler
12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm afraid its not good news Frelon, I've sent an e-mail thru to xcarlink.co.uk and they confirmed the model I owned has a problem with Mobile phone FRO interference. The reckon its not common and offered to replace the item, however as soon as they realised I bought the item directly from China they advised they couldn't help. Hopefully you've bought yours thru them and they'll replace no questions asked.

Frelon
13-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Struttler, and thanks for the heads up.

I have reformatted the SD card and loaded the MP3 files again. I have also confirmed that the connection of the XCarlink into the back of the RCD300 was secure (may not have been fully home).

Since then all has been OK and XCarlink is working as it should.

Fitting Bluetooth hands free kit next, so watch this space!

BTW I bought my XCarlink (from China) through eBay Australia, it offering the lowest prices! Delivered here to France at a fraction of other prices!!

struttler
14-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Apprantly it had something to do with the grounding, so if yours works maybe thats my problem. Where did you ground yours on the head unit. On my Concert 2 theres no place to put the ground wire

Frelon
14-08-2008, 01:53 PM
In the middle of the back of the RCD300 there is a nice and convenient hole! I just used a self tapping screw to secure the earth/ground wire to the radio.

struttler
14-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Without sounding too thick, whats a RCD300 ? .... an after market head unit ?

Frelon
14-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Oops sorry, thought all VW owners knew that it is the basic (crap) double DIN radio fit for current VW's, which when launched did not play MP3s.

Many have upgraded to eBay sourced satnav kits or replaced with the later MP3 ones.

Lack of money decided that I went for XCarlink for my MP3s, and I have not been disappointed.

struttler
14-08-2008, 02:42 PM
A-ha !! ... right VW radio. I might try re-grounding to see if its more succesful

kuro
01-06-2009, 03:00 PM
hi
anyone know if the xcarlink.co.uk have different quality as the one china's on ebay, or xcarlink.co.uk have same devices as china's on ebay?
For example xcarlink.co.uk have "new" devices in aluminium case, Im not sure if the one on ebay is black plastic or alluminium..

thx