PDA

View Full Version : Short Shift for A4

richjthorpe
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi all,

Well, I've had a quick look at Short Shifters but I can't understand the prices of them ! A short shifter for a pre 2000 is about £30 but one for a post 2000 is $150 and has to be imported from America. What's all that about ?

Will a pre 2000 fit on my 2003 do you think (I'm kind of guessing the answer is no).

Richie.

richjthorpe
16-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Well, I've found a Short Shifter kit for my '03 but have to make sure it's the bent gear stick version.

Next question, does anyone know where I can get a bush kit to take out the excessive play in the gearstick ?

Thanks,

Richie.

calum
16-01-2007, 05:37 PM
The only real play (slop) in the gearstick comes from the socket part of the gearstick linkage,(it's plastic)you can get this from the dealers for £3.02.it only requires removing a large circlip to take it out,and you will have this part out anyway when putting in the short shifter,got mine off ebay for £24.99 + £10.00 shipping from the US,though it doesn't have a bent gearstick , it's a 2001, 5.5 hope this helps Calum.

richjthorpe
16-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks Calum, I've checked on Ebay US and found a couple of shifter kits.

How do find the short shifter kit then ? Are there any issues ?

Cheers,

Richie.

calum
16-01-2007, 07:33 PM
It is better because of the shorter throw,this can be adjusted to suit yourself as there are three different positions on the gearstick itself and three on the bracket at the bottom of the gearstick,you'll just have to try it to see how you like it.1st to 2nd when cold is still quite hard,but it was always like that!I advise removing the centre console to change the shifter,it's much easier that way and not much more work.The circlips for the nylon bushes at the side of the gearstick are crap ,I ended up glueing the nylon bushes in!you can find out how to change it at www.passatworld.com (http://www.passatworld.com) just do a search,it's on there somewhere.Cheers Calum

richjthorpe
17-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks Calum, I was going to ask if other peoples gear change from 1st to 2nd was stiff !

Can you remember who it was who sold you the short shifter kit ?

Thanks,

Richie.

calum
17-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Hello Rich,the seller on ebay trades under the name garagelifestyle that sold me the short shifter kit,it seems that the gearshift on the passats are all the same,maybe changing the gearbox oil would help but make sure you use the correct oil,probably "dealer only" stuff.I have thought about doing this myself but haven't got around to it yet,as I don't have my own garage and the weather has been terrible recently,cheers Calum.

richjthorpe
26-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Just to revive the thead, I bought a short shifter from ebay for my B6 and finally got it fitted but selecting 4th is a pain because the shift link hits the underside of the gear stick mounting. Anyone know of adjustments to stop this or point me in the direction of a site that could help ?

Thanks,

Richie.

calum
26-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi , Richie,you can look up the install guide at www.dieselgeek.com (http://www.dieselgeek.com) it will be on the home page under install guide.Initial thoughts point to the rubber seal which runs along the bottom of the tunnel,I trimmed this right back when installing my short shifter,it serves no purpose other than getting in the way,hope this helps you out,Calum

richjthorpe
26-02-2007, 02:41 PM
My thoughts too. Thanks Calum.