PDA

View Full Version : RCD 300 wont play mp3

Jasperse
28-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I have an 07 1.9tdi SE with the RCD 300 and 8 speaker set up.

i noticed in the brochure for the Jetta and owners book that it says it is MP3 compatible and will play mp3s.

Later in the owners book it says it may play MP3 cds but will not play mp3 cd-rs or cd-rws.

Can anybody tell me if they do play mp3s as a disk i burnt works fine in my other car or is it just a compatible radio and you need to hook up a lead from the radio to an mp3 or ipod etc.

Ben
28-06-2008, 09:14 PM
if the head unit says mp3 above the cd slot then it should play cd's with mp3's on them. whether it has to be a cd+ or cd- i don't know.

GDEvans
29-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Put the disc in and give it a try. If it can't read the disc, it will give an error message and spit it out again!

I had a Discman which would play MP3 CDs. I just burnt a CD in my PC with the tracks organised in a folder for each artist, and sub folder for each album. Worked perfectly in the discman.

I would recommend against using CD-RW discs. Because of the way they record, they have a darker surface. This means that they reflect less laser light back to the sensor. I cannot remember the figures, but if a pressed CD is said to reflect 100% of the light, a CD-R reflects about 70% and a CD-RW reflects only 40%. This is why there have been compatibility issues with CD-RW discs in the past.

Also, ensure that the disc is recorded and finalised in a single session. Many CD players will not read multisession (where the disc has been added to later) discs.

BTW there is no such thing as CD+ or CD-. This is a standard for recordable DVDs - DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW.

Jasperse
29-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the comments,

The player does not have mp3 on the front anywhere.

I will try the finalising bit as i dont tend to do that with my disks and feedback

Many Thanks

GDEvans
29-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you don't have the MP3 compatible version. The RCD 300 MP3 has "mp3" printed centrally about the CD slot.

Ben
29-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Sounds like you don't have the MP3 compatible version. The RCD 300 MP3 has "mp3" printed centrally about the CD slot.
i agree, it just as i said earlier

GDEvans
29-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Yep you're right - I hadn't read what you had written properly!