PDA

View Full Version : Golf Heater Issues

don_chico
11-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi,
I just bought a 1990 VW Golf MK2 Driver - 5 Dr 1.6,

And the heater does not seem to heat up, i get air blowing and a small amount of heat coming out, any ideas?

Hoping its not the core

Buwgafa
11-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Hi, Had a similar problem on mine. It seemed to be the pressure relief valves situated on the inlet / outlet of the heater unit (close to where the pipes enter the bulkhead). Either buy some replacements or do as I did....take them off and replace them with lengths of 22mm copper pipe ! Sounds daft but the heater is now fantastic.
I gather that the valves were fitted as a response to a warranty claim back in the 90's as there is a very small risk of the matrix bursting under pressure, but in an older engine I don't see much possibility.

don_chico
11-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi, Had a similar problem on mine. It seemed to be the pressure release valves situated on the inlet / outlet of the heater unit. Either buy some replacements or do as I did....take them off and replace them with lengths of 22mm copper pipe ! Sounds daft but the heater is now fantastic.
I gather that the valves were fitted as a response to a warranty claim back in the 90's as there is a very small risk of the matrix bursting under pressure, but in an older engine I don't see much possibility.

Okay... where is the heater unit??? is the heater unit the heater core/matrix, is this a hard job?
but it cant be that its just the hosing tahts cause no heat:??

Buwgafa
12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Heater unit (matrix/core) is under the passenger glove box behind the trim and is quite tricky to get out. In my case the inlet and outlet pipes in the engine bay were both hot so I couldn't understand why the heater wasn't working either. They can be identified as a small (2") cannister type valve in the pipeline - one is plastic, the other aluminium and they have a small bridging pipe. Try my suggestion - its a sight easier than replacing the matrix..

Boardboy
12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Had the same on my MKII. Turned out to be the valves that buwgafa is discribing. Both mine were aluminuim. I took them out completely and replaced them with some pipe.
The guy in my local VW shop reckon it's a common problem and surgested junking them.
Regards Boardboy

passat boy
22-01-2007, 04:05 PM
no heat or hardly any means thermostat is stuck in the open position,does your tempreture gauge stay lower than centre on your display.replace the thermostat and the 2 valves can cause overheating and blown headgaskets when left blocked.removing them as suggested is ok use decent tubing(try the same 2 hoses from a mk3 golf they dont have valves so the hoses are 1 piece and fit fine)they are cheap from any breakers.

don_chico
23-01-2007, 12:59 AM
fould the problem, it was a valve which apparntly has a thermostat inside, all is good now

Eshrules
23-01-2007, 09:59 AM
fould the problem, it was a valve which apparntly has a thermostat inside, all is good now

any chance you could explain how you resolved the problem? would be useful for future reference when people are searching for help on similar problems.:beerchug:

don_chico
23-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Okie,
I have a 1.6 Golf Driver and it had a valve but the 1.8 dosent, so you need to check.

When you oopen you bonnet, to the left of the expansion tank there is the supply and return hoses for your heater, on one of theese hoses there is a plastic valve, and on the other hose there was a metal valve and inside that metal valve there is a thermostat. I changed both valves as the plastic one was clogged and the thermostat in the metal valve had stuck. 10min job not i sweat in my golf!! i will try and a pic on.

Eshrules
23-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Okie,
I have a 1.6 Golf Driver and it had a valve but the 1.8 dosent, so you need to check.

When you oopen you bonnet, to the left of the expansion tank there is the supply and return hoses for your heater, on one of theese hoses there is a plastic valve, and on the other hose there was a metal valve and inside that metal valve there is a thermostat. I changed both valves as the plastic one was clogged and the thermostat in the metal valve had stuck. 10min job not i sweat in my golf!! i will try and a pic on.

sounds like a result! good lad and would be handy if you could upload that pic if possible, :beerchug: