PDA

View Full Version : Aux input replaces sd card reader?

jkh112
26-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I understand that 2009 spec cars se and s-line will come with aux input as standard, but does anyone know if this replaces or is in addition to the sd card reader?
I will be upset if it replaces the card reader.

tomtom20
27-06-2008, 03:14 AM
Hmm that is a good point. I have no idea, but I know the current model comes with the SD card reader and the AUX line in. I would find it strange if they did away with one or the other neither items cost much at all and the software that would allow MP3 playback would already be 'written into' the MMI interface, and so to do away with that and the SD card reader really would not make sense.

mkc
27-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Are you telling me all current A4 B8's come with a AUX IN 3mm plug as standard or have I misread that.?

Gibbo123
27-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I've just taken a look at the German Audi website in the hope it might help with this. I have taken the following from their configurator (translated by a German speaking colleague!)

"Single CD player, SD card reader, Can play both MP3s and WMAs, Capacity to save 30 different radio stations, Radio receiver for both FM (UKW) and AM (MW,LW), Multi Media Interface control, 6.5 inch colour screen, TP-memory function, Volume control based on speed, 8 loudspeakers, 80 Watts power supply, AUX-In Connection"

If this is up to date then it looks as if the SD-Card reader and AUX-In are both supplied. Fingers crossed ...!

RichardCranium
27-06-2008, 10:12 AM
If there is an AUX in, I dont know where it is. Havent found it on mine yet.

ktulu
27-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I confirm that, as standard, all B8 come with SD Card reader and line-in. The line-in is in the central rest-arm, close to the phone prep.

mkc
27-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Thats great news. I was wondering how I could connect my IPOD up. Thought I had to buy the fancy MMI intergration stuff or go down the route of a FM transmitor. If I can use a 3mm AUX in plug and just use the controls on the IPD directly that will suit me! Great stuff

ktulu
27-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes, you can connect directly an IPOD. To control, you have to use the IPOD itself. I'm working with my dealer to install an adapter cable or an equipment to control the IPOD, USB or MP3 player directly from the steering wheel buttons.

B6Andy101
27-06-2008, 04:59 PM
2009 Model Spec Changes :

http://highwaytg.picturepush.com/showformat.php?format=1024&alid=19589&clid=8957

RichardCranium
27-06-2008, 09:40 PM
so the Line in is an 09 addition then. That'll be why mine aint got one then!

tomtom20
27-06-2008, 10:15 PM
RichardCranium - You really should have a AUX line in! Open up the centre consol armrest, you will see a square plastic cover, marked AUX, on the rearward facing upright inside the box under the armrest. Pull off the cover and hey presto is the the line in. You have same model/year as mine so sure it must be there!

neilb
27-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Don't think there is one on mine, but I wil have another look tomorrow.

nlb.

RichardCranium
28-06-2008, 07:40 PM
just a blanking plate on mine with nowt behind it

B6Andy101
29-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I confirm that, as standard, all B8 come with SD Card reader and line-in. The line-in is in the central rest-arm, close to the phone prep.

Dont think this is correct

Smudge973
29-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Might car is being delivered tomorrow - I'll let you know !

tomtom20
30-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Damn then seems I was lucky to end up with the SD card reader and the AUX in on my SE. I have not had chance to try the AUX in, but once I got my head round how to 'folderise' my music so it played back in the order I wanted through the SD card it really makes CD's and auto changers seem like old hat!

kevspi
30-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Which build week did the AUX IN become standard fit please? I.e. when did the model yr 2009 start production? Ta

Smudge973
30-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Car delivered this morning - In the armrest are the words "Aux" behind a small plate - Mine has this option as well as SD card...

kevspi
30-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Car delivered this morning - In the armrest are the words "Aux" behind a small plate - Mine has this option as well as SD card...

In my current Audi i installed a Dension Ice Link for my ipod and the stereo controlled the ipod and charged it. Will you be able to use the stereo to control the ipod with this AUX line in or will it just provide a sound output for it?

jcb
30-06-2008, 02:48 PM
just sound only. no control. vol will be controlled via usually method (MMI or sterring wheel). but then if you put an album on you dont need to do anythign for about 40 mins till the next one is due !!! i have one in both my cars and works fine considering they only cost about £80 to retrofit.

Waister
30-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Hello All, I took delivery of my car (A4 B8 2.0 TDi S-line) on 12-Jun-2008 (it was built in week 22) and my car has SD reads and AUX socket under the arm rest cubby hole.
The dealer didn't even know it came with a AUX socket. We only found it during the car handover!

kevspi
30-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Hello All, I took delivery of my car (A4 B8 2.0 TDi S-line) on 12-Jun-2008 (it was built in week 22) and my car has SD reads and AUX socket under the arm rest cubby hole.
The dealer didn't even know it came with a AUX socket. We only found it during the car handover!

good news, think mine was built the week after yours too. It was def an option when i ordered though. Any chance of any photos of your new motor? :D

digigriffin
01-07-2008, 08:11 AM
My SE was build week 21 no AUX socket for me :(

MackemMan
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Thats great news. I was wondering how I could connect my IPOD up. Thought I had to buy the fancy MMI intergration stuff or go down the route of a FM transmitor. If I can use a 3mm AUX in plug and just use the controls on the IPD directly that will suit me! Great stuff

Why not copy all your files from the ipod to your PC (if they are not there already) & then download again in mp3 format to an SD card (or two or three).

I have 40 albums on a single 2gb SD card. Stops you having to faff around connecting your ipod each time you get in the car.

RichardCranium
01-07-2008, 01:07 PM
i agree. SD cards are the future:approve:. I have 2no 2gb and 1no 1gb. So much space, i'm running out of good music to put on them.

kevspi
01-07-2008, 01:16 PM
i agree. SD cards are the future:approve:. I have 2no 2gb and 1no 1gb. So much space, i'm running out of good music to put on them.

Yeah I must admit i didn't think of having several SD cards.....I think i'll run out of "unscratched cd's" before i fill the first one though. The days before I had my ipod fitted into my current B7 meant I always had cd's floating about the footwells, caught in the runners under the seats or jammed in the door of the glove box has meant i'm a little low on decent CD's! Looking forward to binning cd's for good.:D

ivarfa
01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Yes, you can connect directly an IPOD. To control, you have to use the IPOD itself. I'm working with my dealer to install an adapter cable or an equipment to control the IPOD, USB or MP3 player directly from the steering wheel buttons.

Please, tell us more when you install the adapter(model, price, etc..)

PD: sorry for my english, but I'm from the 2008 eurocup champions country
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: