PDA

View Full Version : AMI without Sat Nav?

allya
26-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi - I have another question which Audi seem unable to answer - unfortunately I ordered my car before finding this site. I am awaiting the delivery of my new A4 and now wish I had ordered the Audi Music Interface. Audi World in Glasgow have given me a price to fir this but the Audi website says that this cannot be fitted without SatNav? Does anyone know what the correct answer is?!? Thanks in advance, Ally

a8 tech
26-06-2008, 07:21 PM
hello allya.Ami is normally associated with mmi high as it uses most network to communicate with the sound system and mmi display unit.Your a4 has no most but it uses can bus and the new a5/tt has ami can bus.Because the B8 a4 is so new the approved retro fit list is minimul but ami can be retro fitted but at what cost i dont no and im sure it will become optional later in the year but at present there is no official retro fit.Also mp3 can only be added by fm transmiter to the best of my knowledge but again its early days and i tried to reto fit i pod to the new generation radio via the cd multi changer port but there was no communication so fm transmitter it was.This allows mp3 to play externally via a selected radio channel instead of the cd changer function.I shall look into this further and post my findings but if you have radio and not mmi then options for i pod etc are a bit scarce at present.
The part number for ami canbus system is 8T0 057 785 so it can be done

allya
26-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks A8 - Audi World in Glasgow are trying to tell me that they will fit a Dension Gateway 500 - £296 which includes cradle and cable plus an hours fitting at £90 - I guess this is very expensive but when your spending 30k on a car you may as well do it right. This is one of the problems of having a brand new model but is countered by the joy of being one of the first on the road....

a8 tech
26-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Dension 500 is for optical most bus.Has your a4 got radio or mmi version

B6Andy101
26-06-2008, 07:46 PM
If you have ordered and have not received it, odds on it will be a 2009 model year when it arrives (I have had mine confimed at 2009 model year, expected September). If you have gone for an S-Line the audio system has been upgraded to include an AUX IN within the car. You should just be able to plug in your Ipod, granted you will not be able to control it from the wheel but should get you singing along all the same.

There is a link to this on here somewhere, I recall it was to do with the 19" wheels not being compatible with S Line Suspension, will have a look.

B6Andy101
26-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Got it :

http://highwaytg.picturepush.com/showformat.php?format=1024&alid=19589&clid=8957

allya
26-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone, thanks a lot for all your advice. My car was due to be made in week 25 i.e. last week but am still awaiting a delivery date. I will wait and see what it comes with... One last question, is it difficult to retrofit medal pedals - i am not a big fan of the standard set of pedals!?!? Cheers

a8 tech
26-06-2008, 08:11 PM
3024 AMI FOR MMI HIGH.
If your car comes with mmi then dont bother with dension 500 get ami retro fitted as the dension isnt as good as ami and if you dont have mmi then the 500 isnt compatable.
Couldnt coment about the metal pedals:biglaugh:

B6Andy101
26-06-2008, 08:14 PM
3024 AMI FOR MMI HIGH.
If your car comes with mmi then dont bother with dension 500 get ami retro fitted as the dension isnt as good as ami and if you dont have mmi then the 500 isnt compatable.
Couldnt coment about the metal pedals:biglaugh:

Your knowledge is unbelievable, you could pimp yourself out !! :D

allya
26-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi A8 - thanks again for your help - wish you worked in Scotland!! Thanks, Ally