PDA

View Full Version : 1998 POLO iso wiring problem

cloggy
26-06-2008, 03:47 PM
My 1998 polo had a factory fit SONY radio cassette. The Polo's ISO plug physically fits my new Cd player however the positions of the permenent 12v wire ( thick red wire) and the ignition switch 12v wire ( which is a small diameter brown and red wire) are swapped over in relation to the iso socket on the new player.
I know I could switch the wires over and the red wire on the VW's loom would feed the new players permenent feed memory backup via the yellow wire and a 10 amp fuse and this would not be a problem.
However, the 12 v ignition feed to the new player would be coming through the small diamater brown and red wire on the VW's wiring harness to the red wire on the new players socket which has a 1 amp fuse.
My question: is can the small dia brown and red wire capable of providing enough power to the new player without buring out.

Many thanks

Froggy
26-06-2008, 03:53 PM
These days the switched feed doesn't provide any real current to the head unit - That's all delivered through the permanent connection. It's only there to provide a switch on signal.

So in answer to your question - you shouldn't have a problem.

cloggy
26-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Froggy

Thanks very much for the advice, the ignition switch supplied wire is protected by a 1A inline fuse so that supports this wire only supplying a signal to switch on / off and the yellow permenent feed wire, which has a 10A fuse, being the one that supplies power to the head unit itself