PDA

View Full Version : SD card reader

moptisam2
25-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I picked up my A4 on Saturday. The manual for the Symphony system says that the SD card reader will now read cards of 4 Gb. Mine will still only read 2Gb. The 4 Gb cards are not at fault (I tried 2 different ones), nor is the way the music is programmed (I transferred music from the 4Gb to a 2Gb and it worked fine).

Anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

It may seem a small point, but I have 2 4 Gb cards that I would like to use, if possible.

I will contact the dealer where I bought the card and hand the 'problem' to him.

digigriffin
25-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I got my A4 on the 8th June.

In my Symphony Sound System operating manual on page 30...
in the blue table showing the mp3/wma specifications...
for Supported media it says...

"SD or MMC memory Cars with a capacity of up to 2 GB"

So I don't know why, unless the spec has changed, yours says 4gb but only seems to play 2gb?

B6Andy101
25-06-2008, 07:32 PM
At least you get an SD card slot. No mention in the specs that if you order Sat Nav you dont get slot.

moptisam2
26-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I'd have no legal training, but surely you have a claim against Audi under either the Trades Descriptions Act or the Sale of Goods Act for the goods not being "as described".

On page 31 of the PDF, version 11, both of the Concert and Symphony radios are given as having the SD card reader. There is no mention of the reader not being present if the owner has Sat Nav.

If you have recourse to free legal advice, you would be well advised to contact them and see what redress you have in law. Alternatively, you could phone the local Trading Standards Office (I have always found them very helpful and informative) and ask them what you can do.

Good luck

Plife
26-06-2008, 01:47 PM
At least you get an SD card slot. No mention in the specs that if you order Sat Nav you dont get slot.
That's no good! That for me is a big reason not to get Sat Nav!

tomtom20
26-06-2008, 06:11 PM
I think the point here is that Audi have made an error in the manual for the radio system (not Sat-Nav system) as in, Moptisam stating it says in the manual for the Symphony Radio System it has an SD Card reader that can read 4GB cards.

As for taking any legal action against Audi, that would I am sure, even if you could get it free be a waste of time. Either they would say that publication cannot be guaranteed to be free of errors or omissions or those specifications can change at anytime without prior warning. These apply to pretty much every manufacturer as an easy way out so to speak.

As far as the SD card reader being there or not, if you have Sat-Nav option I cannot comment as not having Sat-Nav I have no idea (perhaps those reading this who have the Sat-Nav system can confirm if it does, or does not have an SD card reader)

In the meantime, I think one must not take as gospel what is printed in manuals, PDFs and websites regarding specs, as they can change, and unlike a contract do not need to be 'stuck to' by the companies who produce them, hence the loop holes as I talked about earlier. I have simply ordered a few cheap 2GB SD cards to use with the system.

B6Andy101
26-06-2008, 08:03 PM
"Specifications and prices subject to change without notice"

Luckily I orderd AMI, which will give me full control of My IPOD from the steering wheel, so not the end of the world, but you would be gutted if you lost the SD through no fault of your own.

Previously I though the guys on this forum knew as much as the dealers. Know I know they know more.

Dealers, need I say more : Dealer says at 5pm yesterday "The new brocuhure including the Avant will be available in printed format in July"

I get home from work tonight and what is waiting for me:
Edition 3 04/08 2008 Model year Brochure.

If you want to know about Audi, forget the brochure and the dealer, ask the question on here.

moptisam2
27-06-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm glad you are sorted out, one way or another, and you are probably right about "Spec subject to change". I just mentioned the 'legal' route as I don't think manufacturers have it all their own way these days and sometimes it is best to ask the question and be told 'No', rather than not ask the question.

I have been told 'No' a couple of times by Trading Standards, but generally my experience and that of my friends is that they are very helpful.

Enjoy your music.

Sheroo
01-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I've got Sat-Nav but no SD card reader, or at least nothing that I can find to stick the card into, where is it located ?

digigriffin
01-07-2008, 02:07 PM
From memory, and the wife has the car at the moment so cannot check.

The SD card slot on my 1.8 SE (no sat nav) is to the left and slightly lower than the large control knob for the MMI and its surrrounding MMI corner buttons.

So maybe level with the bottom of the radio control buttons on the left of the radio but just to the right of them.

It is only a very small slot the width of and SD card so it may be possible to miss?

tomtom20
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Sheroo:

Seeing as you have the Sat-Nav option, I am not sure if you get the SD card functionality. It won't be about the centre consol I am sure, try looking in the boot (I guess that is where the Sat-Nav DVD System etc is) and see if it has the SD card on the unit. If you are not sure where the Sat-Nav system is located I can't help not having it, but sure someone who has can better tell. I just think SD card reader may be on this as was in previous Audi A4 B7 Sat-Nav system.

Sheroo
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Checked everywhere and can't find a SD slot, conclusion with Sat-Nav, there is no SD Card, at least on my car though I do have Aux in. :mad:

Tad disappointed but still on the bright side got Sat-Nav and bluetooth so no need to mess about with charging wires for long journeys etc.