PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.8T '03 97k miles...should I buy ?

richjthorpe
11-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post here, in actualy fact I haven't even got an Audi.......yet ;)

My last car (mk2 MR2) died of oil starvation and with having children thought would be nice if we could get the whole family in my car and not just the wifes !

I'm going to see a 2003 '03 1.8T Sport tonight but it has 97,000 miles on the clock. I haven't a problem with the mileage (The MR2 was at 120,000 when it went) but is there anything I should be wary of ? Worn suspension, brakes, engine issues. It's got a Full Service History so should be in good condition.

Any advice gladly taken !

Thanks,

Richie.

Dave Avant
11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Welcome!! :beerchug:

To be honest alot of cars nowadays go flying past 100K miles with no probs. A car of that age and mileage shows it must have been a motorway slogger, so as Motorways don't tend to have bumps etc suspension and brakes will have had light use. Sometimes its worse getting a really low mileage car as bits and bobs pack up with lack of use, plus short journies on engines aren't good even if the miles are low.

Should be fine with FSH, just do the general checks.

Gazz
11-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi mate i got my audi A4 1.8T Avant 3 months ago with 89k on the clock with full dealership service history only problem since is a slight oil leak from rocker other than that no problems i love it.

richjthorpe
11-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Top stuff !

Dave, didn't think of it like that but with an average of 25,000 miles per year, I can't see it being an around town car.

Does anyone know where I'd be able to get a Service Schedule from for this car ?

Thanks,

Richie.

Dave Avant
11-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Service schedule is in the service handbook, but as a rule it will need atleast an oil service every 10,000 miles - this is what the TDi requires. Most manuf. do 15,000+ intervals, but Audis have a small oil capacity of 3.8 litres on the 4 cyl. diesel, where as most are up past 5 litres, this can extend intervals as there is more oil to cope with the degrading and contaminants.

richjthorpe
11-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

Right, seen the car tonight and it seems to be ok. There are a couple of niggles like the front fog lamps are cracked and the bonnet release catch is broken meaning you need a pair of pliers to open it, but apart from that it seems good.

Engine still pulled like a train all the way round to 6k, gearbox was fine, did hear a little moan from the clutch though when dropping from 3rd to second (Any ideas ?).

The gearstick is a little wobbly so wondered if there were any short shift kits out there if I was to replace the shifter bushes.

One last thing, I thought all A4s from the new model (2000>) had the glowy blue dials but this one doesn't. Are they changable ?

Thanks,

Richie.

RickT
13-01-2007, 02:32 AM
moan from the clutch.... like a "brr" noise... release bearing... mine done it for the last 50k..

just had mine MOT'ed today... 117k,,, (2002) once again no issues on the MOT - had no managed issues.. coils packs tend to fail every 30k.,.. £25.00 each.. x 4 -

The dials are RED.. all the cluter and climate control is red... on the SE the air vents on the dash are also red..

i guess the mean the bonnet release in the car?? or outside.... big difference in price you see..

RicKT

richjthorpe
14-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi RickT,

Well, I went and bought the thing so I'm officially now in the Audi community !

I can't explain what the clutch noise is like other than a moan. I've heard other cars do it (Old Fiestas). It only happens when I'm dropping down gears and using the gearbox to slow the car. If it is the release bearings, is there anything I can do about it, or would I have to wait until the clutch is changed ?

Speaking about the clutch, it seems very heavy. Is this a trait of this model A4 or the Sport or is it something that needs looking in to. Also, the steering seems to be heavy too.

Saying that, I've been driving a VW Touran hire car for the past 2 months and that has the lightest clutch and steering ever !

The bonnet release I'm talking about is the one inside the car.

Cheers,

Richie.

RickT
14-01-2007, 11:02 PM
The clutch is not too heavey... however once i drive my 2006 New Polo and just in the audi... everything feels heavey!!

mine has done the brr noise when dropping down grars.. you need to just change the driving style i little... but if you drop it down a gear and just apply a bit of gas it does not do...

I have not borthered doing mine untill i neeed a new clutch..

Cheers

RiCKT

RickT
15-01-2007, 12:16 AM
my spelling is poor tonight...

Yeah .. let us know how you get on with it!!

RicKt

richjthorpe
15-01-2007, 09:52 AM
you need to just change the driving style i little...

Heel and Toe....like it ;)

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

Richie.