PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replaced, but still difficulty engaging gears!

ventionandy
23-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi guys,

Im brand new to the forum, I'm desperately after some advice regarding my VW Polo 1999 1.0l

Basically, the clutch had been slipping for a while so last week decided to take it to the garage and had it replaced. Now, the problem with acceleration being the same as engine revs/biting point etc... is ok, but the problem of difficulty engaging gears (particularly reverse & 3rd) which has existed about as long as the slipping clutch has not been sorted at all!

I took the difficulty engaging gears to be a clutch problem also and now i've had the clutch replaced and the problem still exists i'm quite annoyed and worried :confused:

Do you have any ideas what this could be? Gearbox oil change, or some adjustment perhaps im hoping?

Any help i thank you for in advance.

Andy

Eshrules
23-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi guys,

Im brand new to the forum, I'm desperately after some advice regarding my VW Polo 1999 1.0l

Basically, the clutch had been slipping for a while so last week decided to take it to the garage and had it replaced. Now, the problem with acceleration being the same as engine revs/biting point etc... is ok, but the problem of difficulty engaging gears (particularly reverse & 3rd) which has existed about as long as the slipping clutch has not been sorted at all!

I took the difficulty engaging gears to be a clutch problem also and now i've had the clutch replaced and the problem still exists i'm quite annoyed and worried :confused:

Do you have any ideas what this could be? Gearbox oil change, or some adjustment perhaps im hoping?

Any help i thank you for in advance.

Andy

have you asked the repairing garage if they test-drove the car after fitment of the new clutch and have you asked to see the old parts?

Crasher
23-06-2008, 02:07 PM
The pedal box reaction point of the clutch cable has broken. Remove the lower dash trim and look up at the pedal box (use a small torch) and look for the cable mounting. Then push down the clutch pedal by hand and you will see the mounting is fractured and breaking away from the pedal box. It takes about three hours to replace the pedal box if you have done them before, a lot longer if you haven’t.

ventionandy
23-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I saw the old worn clutch plates before I took the car away, but did not ask whether they test drove it or not? I'm taking the car back this week anyway because i'm not really satisfied... I have the 12month warranty, so i'll get them to take another look.

Do you think the difficulty engaging gears is a problem that should have been solved when the clutch was replaced. I don't thrape the car, its only a 1 litre and done only 52k!!