PDA

View Full Version : Question How do you remove the steering wheel from a T5?

paul b
22-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone

I'm trying to remove the steering wheel on my 54 plate Transporter T5. This is because the horn doesn't work, yet I've checked all the fuses and changed the horn itself but to no avail, so I'm trying to gain access to the horn push behind the steering wheel.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Vagnum
24-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Air bag needs to be removed mate you realy should take it to volkswagen

paul b
28-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Air bag needs to be removed mate you realy should take it to volkswagen
That doesn't really help mate. The airbags won't deploy as the 12v feed from the battery will be disconnected. I don't plan on losing my fingers...

I know the problem is with the horn push behind the steering wheel because using a VAG-COM output test I got the horn to sound. That rules out the problem being a faulty relay or fuse or horn unit itself... which I've already changed anyway. :o

Any ideas anyone?

Paul

kenney
28-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi send me your e-mail address and i will send the info you need

paul b
02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Right, sorted !

It was the contact ring. I bought it from VW and when it arrived it was slightly different, despite having the same part number, but a modification or two later and it was fine.

Airbags did not attack me, thanks very much for your help with them, Kenney. :beerchug:

Paul

LINDS HANSON
15-07-2008, 03:18 PM
So is the airbag/steering wheel removal method on a need to know basis only? Come on guys let us all in on the secret!:1zhelp:

paul b
16-07-2008, 11:14 PM
It is a lot of fiddling...

You have to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees anti-clockwise and insert a screwdriver into the small holes on each side of the back of the steering wheel. Then swivel upwards. Turn the wheel 180 degrees clockwise and do the same in the other hole on the other side of the steering wheel. Then the airbag becomes loose and you remove it.The right hand side one is more difficult than the left for some reason !

Remember to electrostatically discharge yourself ! Ensure you are touching the body of the vehicle at all times ! And store the airbag carefully...

If you supply me with your e-mail address via a PM I can forward the really helpful instructions I received from Kenney and Crasher.

Paul