PDA

View Full Version : An option I would like - if available

moptisam2
22-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Having just picked up my car yesterday, I think one of the most recommendable options is the beige Valcona leather with the sports seats. In my opinion, and that of the friends who have so far seen the car, this combination puts it in another bracket.

Mind you, there is one option I would have liked if it had been available – an ******** Detector. Me and the car both nearly got wiped out at 1.30 today by some ******* in a dark green Jeep Cherokee going through a red light at about 40 miles an hour. Only because I was doing everything a bit more slowly and pulled away from the lights a few seconds later than I would have done if I had had the car for longer, am I able to sit here, unscathed, and write this.

tomtom20
22-06-2008, 07:56 PM
I am pleased you did not have anything bad happen to you! I live in London, and notice more and more (it is almost as if word as got about it is OK to do) that Bus drivers are now right up there with Cyclists going through red lights. I have seen ones that have felt if it is amber and just gone to red it is ok to carry on through, and this is on pedestrian crossings, and others who just feel the law does not apply to them. They can get up to £500 a week driving a bus but are amongst the most selfish and bad drivers!

moptisam2
23-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks. Yes, this was on a big roundabout just near Hatfield. Two lanes had stopped and this Arschloch (let's see if the auto delete function recognises German) came up on the inside lane and straight through. He was going at a fair lick because when I looked in his direction, a couple of seconds later, he was at the next lights about 200 yards away.

It's sad, isn't it, when the advice is to look to your right to see if anyone is coming, even when your light is green?

tomtom20
23-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I just got a USB powered can cooler for my desk. It got me thinking, how good an idea that a car could have such. Something that could hold your can secure but also cool it or heat it.
Cooled steering wheel for hot days when you come back to the car and the wheel is so hot to hold.
WiFi enabled entertainment. It can only be a matter of time before this could be on future cars. But to have internet radio stations, full internet when you are stationary but partial internet when driving, like latest weather, or sports results showing up on the MMi screen and a tie in with the Sat-Nav to Google maps so you can see where you are not only on a map but a Satalite image too. (I know you can get in-car PC's with such but it is not fully intergrated)

Well that is my idea's for now anyway...

alexcf
24-06-2008, 10:11 AM
The internet thing wouldn't really be too difficult. You can get a tiny little PC thing which can act as a wireless access point, hook up something like a Vodafone 3g card, there you go, internet sorted. Would all fit neatly in that netted section in the back.

Only think you'd have to do is work out a way of plumbing that into the car... See, this is where the great minds of Car Modding people, and then computer/network geeks come together!

:p

jcb
24-06-2008, 12:13 PM
alternatively you could enjoy DRIVING in your car and then surf the net at home using a PC !!!! :biglaugh:

did you see the new sat nav unit on the gadget show a couple of weeks ago - it overlays your route on aeriel photos a la google maps. (uses swedish military photos as opposed to goole earth maps etc ) was only about £350 i think and looked pretty good.

mkc
24-06-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsautomotive/default.mspx

http://www.car-pc.info/reviews/700idt-in-dash-vga-touchscreen-monitor

Im doing some work with this at the moment. Its all possible but its down to what car manufacturers want and health and safety. Most of in car systems run on a Windows CE platform of sorts but just with a different GUI.

Its possible to have a TV in the car as we know but normally it goes off as soon as the car is in drive and you get audio only. Can you imagine having a full PC with Internet connectivity on the dash.

tomtom20
24-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I did not see the Gadget Show with the PC kit, but oddly found the website who made it. You can get a screen that is built into the passenger sunvisor, two for the back headrests and one for the Audio system. All can be used seperatly, and all can play back DVD's/T.V. Voice contol even to 'type' in MS Word or Outlook and having a rough look around basic systems start at £540 (not including screens) but can go right up to £1,032 for decent dual core chipset. Add the screen, and I would think be under the cost of what Audi charge for the Sat-Nav option, but give you a great deal more bang for your buck.

To have a look, and laugh at the demo video, the link is: http://www.in-carpc.co.uk/