PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Problems

ryepie
10-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi all
My father has a VW Bora 2.0 1999. Last week the headlight started playing up, he starts the car and puts the headlight on and leaves it for 20 mins. The headlight then go off. Can anybody help. He recently had the cat changed if that helps.

bora(ing) nick
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Could you try to explain the problem a little better.

"puts the headlights on leaves it for 20 mins"

Do you mean he drives as normal, or turns the car off and takes the key out of the ignition?

Also do you mean the headlights, or the side lights???

By "the cat" do you mean the Catalytic Converter on the exhaust system??

If yes, it is v.unlikely that this will effect the cars lights

ryepie
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
He has driven the car and after 20 mins the side lights go off, he has also tried starting the car on the drive, putting the lights on and leaving it like that and after 20 mins the side lights go off. I do mean catalytic converter, only mentioned it because before the cat went in to be changed the lights was fine.

bora(ing) nick
10-01-2007, 04:20 PM
does anything else happen when the lights go out, ie the cooling fan comes on, or anything that may trigger it if there was a fault or damage to the wiring??

The only other thing i can think of is that it may have some battery saving mode built in, that turns the car lights off if left on???

It is a bit of a strange one considering they work and then go off on there own, after a set period.

If he turns them off and then on again, do they stay on for another 20 mins???

Nick

ryepie
10-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Nothing happens when the lights go off. Have to wait until it cools down before they come on again, a few hours.

RickT
11-01-2007, 12:14 AM
theres aworing issue or swtich issues there... if he got out of the car and turned the engine off... turned the lights off.... and they stay on.... once they have gone off... do they come back on auto again after its cooled down?? or is that they dont come back on even when you turn them on untill its cold?

I didnt understand the post..

RicKT

RickT
11-01-2007, 12:14 AM
theres aworing issue or swtich issues there... if he got out of the car and turned the engine off... turned the lights off.... and they stay on.... once they have gone off... do they come back on auto again after its cooled down?? or is that they dont come back on even when you turn them on untill its cold?

I didnt understand the post..

RicKT