PDA

View Full Version : Hi there!

Jonnie5
10-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I currently own a BMW 318ise touring. I'm looking tobe changing quite soon. My dad owns a Skoda Octavia 2.0tdi 140 54plate.Which I think is great. Only downside is the engine which is powerful its noisy and gruff. Gearbox is a dream and the car certainly feels well put together. What I want ot know before I go and buy an 320d m-sport is does the latest A4 2.0tdi s-line have the same gearbox and is the engine as noisy and gruff sounding/feeling? Apart from the looks is there anything that you would warm me about and persude me into an A4 s-line?

Cheers Jonnie

Dave Avant
10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Audis are good for performance but not for noise esp. on the 4 cyl. The BMW uses common rail technology like the Fiat JTDs and Audi use direct injection. The latest 4 cyl engines use a Piezo injection which increase power and economy, but not sure on noise.

I would test drive one and see. They do tend to be noisier when cold, so make sure you get it fully warmed. But coming from a petrol engine it would seem noisier, but you soon get used to it. Just think of the extra noise as the engine doing more mpg that should ease it. On a normal commute to work in traffic I squeeze nearly 600 miles to a tank.

The BMW unit is very good and is similar on power output but I think not quite as good on mpg. How about a 6 cyl. ? They are more refined with excellent power.

Jonnie5
10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. Having driven most of the diesels out there including my dads last 2.0HDI pug the pump duce engine from vag seams like they've went backward apart from performance. But I think your right a little more noise is acceptable when your getting more than 40mpg. I went from a 2.6v6 gsi vectra tuned by Dastek to a 2.0 BMW thinking my fuel bill was going to be reduced. But I find myself no better off due to the fact I'm driving my 2.0l hard to keep up with the performance and torque I had with my 2.6. So that why I'm opting for a diesel so's I can have more torque to play with.

Dave Avant
10-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I've come from an MG ZT190 and the 1.9TDi has more torque so it doesn't feel slow when compared until the TDi runs out of puff, the MG V6 was getting going!!!

The pug HDi are good if underpowered, but they have recently started to make higher outputs.

The MG did about 350 miles to the tank, so for me moving to a diesel its near enough halved the fuel bills and reduced the road tax by about £50!!

I'm hoping to replace my classic Honda with a sports bike so I can still get my high octane fix. :D