PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.5 TD 1999 HELP Please Big problems

JamesB
10-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi All

I have a 1999 A4 2.5 TD that wont run properly. After the car had been stood for a few hours when starting it smoked (diesel as you could smell it) for about 3 miles then cleared up but continued to run with less power than it should have. I have donw some work myself and now taken it to vw/audi garage and they are confused too.

It has been put on the diagnostic machine (proper one not a hand held one) and it does not show any errors. The timing had been checked, new injectors have been fitted and still this makes no difference. I really dont know what to do next and would be so gratefull if someone had experienced a similar problem and could shed some light.

It appears that the left hand side of the engine is not fueling properly which is why I am confused.

Thanks in advance

Sky
10-01-2007, 02:20 PM
No expert on this particular diesel engine but rebuilt lots of other types, mainly tractors. Likely a head gasket gone. Check the oil sump for a pressure rise at tickover and see if oil appears thin or reeks of fuel. If you've had a valve stick you may have punched a hole in a piston crown, You wont get a pressure rise with this one but whip out and injector and put your thumb over the hole as you turn it over. Sounds ugly dude!!