PDA

View Full Version : MPG 2.0 vs 2.7

JohnH99
19-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi,

I need a bit of help with a dilemma. I was all ready to order a 2.0 tdi S line Avant with multitronic and my dealer goes and offers me their ex demonstrator 2.7 tdi SE for virtually the same price. Its one of the deep sea blue / beige leather launch cars with absolutely everything on it, climate seats, advanced parking, xenons etc. Now for the dilemma, I drive 100 miles a day just to and from the office and this is going to be a private purchase so I wondered what you guys who have already got their cars are getting to the gallon and whether Audi's mileage figures can be matched in real use. Thanks to Alistair its also going to be a lot more expensive to tax a 2.7 as well.

Thanks

John

browellm
19-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm getting 47.8mpg from the manual 2.0tdi, after 1800 miles (fair portion of motorway use). I'd expect this to go up a little bit after 5-6000 miles use.

Hope this helps.

AndyH123
19-06-2008, 12:53 PM
2.0 manual TDI - 35 mile journey, split country roads, motorway and city crawling = approx 50mpg if the motorway bit is kind and you get a free run of 65-70mph.

kelvinbishop
19-06-2008, 02:46 PM
2.0 manual TDI - 35 mile journey, split country roads, motorway and city crawling = approx 50mpg if the motorway bit is kind and you get a free run of 65-70mph.

Previous car A3 2.0 TDI 55+ mpg on a run 45 mpg average.
Current car A4 2.7 TDI 50 ish mpg on a run 37 mpg average.

RichardCranium
19-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm getting about 45mpg form my 2.0tdi with less than 1000 miles on the clock. However, i'm not shy with with the right foot;).

I suspect the MPG will improve as the mileage increases

AndyH123
19-06-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm getting about 45mpg form my 2.0tdi with less than 1000 miles on the clock. However, i'm not shy with with the right foot;).

I suspect the MPG will improve as the mileage increases

I dunno, the all time average on my 2.0tdi has only gone up from 44.1 to 44.8 over the last couple of thousand miles. I suspect this is entirely to do with the weight of my right foot ;)

belly buster
21-06-2008, 12:17 AM
2.0TDi over 2000 miles trip computer says 47.5mpg, actual mpg is nearer 43mpg :confused:

shannei
23-06-2008, 07:52 PM
2.0tdi 900 miles on the clock so far 39.1 mpg
6mpg better than the freelander i had

Issac Hunt
23-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I weighed up these two engines when I bought mine. Went for the 2.0 in the end due to lower purchase price, cheaper road tax and insurance in addition to better MPG.

Yes the 2.7 is faster but I dont drive above the spped limit very often, I had the 2.0 re-mapped which helps a lot.

belly buster
23-06-2008, 10:04 PM
2.0 TDi is plenty fast enough for most I should think.

MackemMan
23-06-2008, 11:00 PM
2.0 TDi is plenty fast enough for most I should think.

I think that is probably correct if you have a manual gearbox.

The multitronic is brilliant in the way it drives, but is not what I would call quick. With 8 gears the range between them is quite small, so kickdown has relatively little effect.

My last car, an A3 2.0 TDI with DSG was much nippier when it needed to be.

JohnH99
24-06-2008, 10:30 AM
This is why I am having a problem making the decision. The price on the 2.7 that the dealer has offered me is within a few pounds of the 2.0 multi that I was going to order for September delivery. Not only that but I remember seeing this car at the B8 launch event with a price tag on it of over 40k! (just about every option ticked). I just need to decide whether I can or want to pay the extra running costs of the bigger engine although the comments from MakemMan are making me wonder if the 2.0 tdi is a bit underpowered for the multitronic box.

MackemMan
24-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Perhaps I should clarify a little. I would not call it overpowered, but neither would I say it was underpowered.

A lot depends on your driving style & requirements. If you tend to do a lot of cruising miles then I doubt you would find much better. It is perfect for how I want to drive.

On the other hand if you were driving around a city, or needed to overtake on 2-track roads & wanted to have instant power surges then unless you dropped in Sports mode you could be short of power.

The gearbox has tiptronic which may suit some people, but I have had it on cars for the past 10 years & I still don't like it.

JohnH99
24-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for that. I travel around 100 miles per day, half of it on the M5 through Somerset and the other half on a winding B road over the Blackdown Hills into Devon. How is the 2.0 multi up steep (ish) hills?

WhiteHartMart
26-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Just found this forum as I'm looking into getting a new A4 - and as one of the main reasons for this is economy, I'm finding it interesting!! :D

I end up driving 20,000 + miles per year and previously owned an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI which averaged close to 50 mpg during my ownership, then I had a bit of a crisis and wanted to go back to being a boy again!! - so bought a Focus ST - thing is £400 per month fuel bills has made me realise I could own a much better quality car and still have an overall monthly.

Hope to be able to report back soon when I've finally ordered the new car!! ;)

Foringo
26-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Just clocked up the first thousand fun miles in my 2.7. This was mostly made up of daily seven mile (each way) commutes to work, down winding country B roads. According to my fuel computer I’m getting just under 35mpg (I’ll check the accuracy one day). I don’t think that this is too bad considering that the engine probably isn’t up to temp for several miles and it‘s still tight. I bought my car for mainly local driving with the occasional long distance trip. I enjoy driving it as it is fairly sporty in character and with its reasonable power output makes mincemeat of hills. The V6 190PS coupled to the multitronic is also a great combination. Apart from the engine and transmission I don’t know exactly what mechanical differences there are but think V6's might have larger rear discs (not sure what difference this actually makes as it has a bit more mass to bring to a halt) & the standard Servotronic steering is the best PAS I have ever driven …good feedback but still very light at low speed. I think I read somewhere that there are also some instrumentation differences but don‘t know for sure. Minor glitches?....Just taken it back to the dealer to get a new mirror indicator fitted as the original had condensation in it. Also had to have a new reversing light holder fitted. What was good though was that when I selected reverse there was an audible warning and an arrow on a graphical display which pointed to the position of the faulty light! Both repairs were completed without any fuss and I received a couple of tins of complementary Audi car sweets (I also got a large box of Audi chocs when I originally collected my new car....at well over £30k they were the most expensive ones I have ever given to my wife). My car is deep sea blue which I think looks great.....looks like black in some lights but has a lovely blue tint to it. Trouble is that within a day of cleaning it starts to show the dirt…still a good excuse to wash it again:D

JohnH99
27-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the information. I've just ordered the 2.7 tdi SE ex demo car and have now got that "what have I just done" feeling.