PDA

View Full Version : oil choice petrol turbo engine

beaucostil
18-06-2008, 05:15 PM
after forum advice went to purchase carlube triple R fully synthetic for oil change on 104,000 mile 20v 1.8t & got talked into spending less money on 5w30 semi synthetic millers trident , ,anybody know if i,ve chosen right or wrong?

JustinM3
18-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I'd only use semi in a turbo petrol if I changed it every 1000 miles.
How long you planning on keeping the oil in?
The turbo heat just destroys semi, be in a sorry state after 1000 miles usually, fully I change every 3000 on a sporty driven turbo petrol.
Fuchs from GSF or ECP 5w40 for a good oil at a good price.

m4xmw
18-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Fully synthetic on a turbo passat or a4... sludge is the issue on these cars.
Its caused by oil breaking down.

I`d say drain it and refill with triple R like you thought!

Mark

beaucostil
19-06-2008, 07:29 PM
been on the millers oil website & they recommend 10w 30 semi synth trident,, havent had the change done yet but think semi was used at last change,,totally confused with it all , if semi already in some say dont switch to fully,,might phone the main dealer

beaucostil
19-06-2008, 07:32 PM
been on the millers oil website & they recommend 10w 30 semi synth trident,, havent had the change done yet but think semi was used at last change,,totally confused with it all , if semi already in some say dont switch to fully,,might phone the main dealer
should have added // the website recommended the 10w30 sem synth for multi valve turbo engines with higher mileage

JustinM3
19-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Doesn't matter what's recommended mate, fully is far far better oil at dealing with the heat, semi will be like water after a few k miles.
All an engine needs to do is last 'til warrenty is out, look at handbook - "drive off immediately from cold" - I appreciate oil pump speed is slow, but pressure is high, and at least let it get round for a few seconds!
"1 litre of oil is normal use per 1000 mile" - My 137k mile highly strung M3 engine that revs to 7700 hasn't used one drop in 30k miles I've owned it, does that mean there's something wrong with it?
The US M3 engine, which is less output and revving, is rated at up to 2.5 litres per 1000 miles due to increased engine speed and output!

Semi should go no where near a turbo petrol engine, a few extra quid on the oil is repaid from lasting longer, and added protection.

I'm sure one of the chaps at opieoils have some tests of oils after x amount of miles, seen them somewhere, semi is ******* in a turbo after a worryingly short amount of time.

beaucostil
20-06-2008, 04:22 PM
hi justin , ,phoned main dealer to cost up oil service & technician there said always semi synthetic on turbo engine 20v ,, said fully was far too thin , ,ijust for the record, , quote was £95 incl vat incl a full serv inspection but also offered to price match

Ross 1.8T
20-06-2008, 05:39 PM
hi justin , ,phoned main dealer to cost up oil service & technician there said always semi synthetic on turbo engine 20v ,, said fully was far too thin , ,ijust for the record, , quote was £95 incl vat incl a full serv inspection but also offered to price match

Ah the good old VW tech. Thats a load of b*ll*cks mate. Viscosity (thickness at a given temp) of the oil has nothing to do with whether or not its mineral, semi or fully synthetic.

Carlube Triple R 5W40 fully synthetic is perfect for the 1.8T and its not expensive. You can spend an extra £30 easily on a "top brand" oil, all you're paying for is branding and advertising.

Drop the semi-synth and put the Triple R in. As has been mentioned above, Semi-synth will sludge up like nobody's business in the 1.8T. Why do you think we see all these "FVWSH" cars with major sludging when a car that has been owner serviced with fully synth oil doesn't suffer at all. VW use the cheapest "up to spec" oil they can get their hands on. If they used fully synth, the 1.8T breakdown rate would drop like a stone and they'd be thousands of £s out of pocket.

JustinM3
20-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Too thin? http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Viscosity-Expalanation.doc
A 5w30 is 5w30, whether it's semi or fully, makes no odds.
And these are people that keep the fsh up...... :1zhelp:

It's just too simple, fully protects better.
I won't bother saying anymore, as that's all there is to it.

http://amsoiluk.com/ - More mineral vs synthetic, but you can take from this there's synthetic then there's synthetic...

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/turbofacts/development.aspx - Start stop test. Look what it has to deal with.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Are-synthetics-better.doc

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/lubricating-a-modified-car.doc

Maybe pass some of this info on to the 'expert' you spoke to.....

beaucostil
20-06-2008, 07:49 PM
i hear what you,re saying , ,so millers 5w/40 fully synthetic is up to the job according to their website ,,is there an issue switching from semi to full as i,m pretty sure semi is whats in at mo?

JustinM3
20-06-2008, 07:54 PM
No issue whatsoever, just don't tell the engine, and all will be fine.... :p

Seriously, it's a no brainer.
People who come out with "It's too thin", really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a car.
A 0w30/0w40 is not too thin, it's still thick as anything when cold.

The 2 sets of numbers don't are basically flow when cold and hot, and aren't on same scale - the first number does is cold flow, and as you know is much much thicker cold than hot.
A 10w40/50 is like treacle when cold.

Read through those links, don't take my word for any of it, and may find some interest in a few of the facts.
I know I wouldn't run a turbo'd car I cared about on semi.
Look at the job your oil does, not an easy life at all.

Ross 1.8T
20-06-2008, 08:07 PM
i hear what you,re saying , ,so millers 5w/40 fully synthetic is up to the job according to their website ,,is there an issue switching from semi to full as i,m pretty sure semi is whats in at mo?

When switching from mineral or semi to fully synth, you should change the oil and filter again after about 3000 miles. The fully synth oil will have much better detergency and disperseancy than your old oil and as such it'll remove a lot of baked on crud that will have accumulated over the years. This gets caught up in the filter and the smaller particles will stay suspended in the first lot of fully synth oil. Do this once and then resume a normal change schedule.

Millers XFS 5W40 is what I used to use, its excellent oil but Fuchs Titan and Carlube Triple R are just as good if you change the oil every 6k miles like me and they're about £10 cheaper for 5 litres.