PDA

View Full Version : Cam belt replacement

Steve Wotton
09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I have been advised by my dealer that I should replace the cam belt on my VW Golf V5 2003 30,000 miles. Is he touting for business, or what?

JohnnyBee
09-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi, Steve; as I remember it the book says 48 to 54K, but frankly I wouldn't leave it that long.
It isn't the belt itself that I'd worry about, more the guides and tensioner that hold it all together; it only takes one of 'em to get a bit sloppy and you run the risk of the belt coming off, or grinding itself to dust on the covers.
If most of your mileage is on long-haul stuff then you should be OK up to 45K, but I'd be inclined to do it as soon as you can, just to make sure that everything in the belt run is as it should be.
Belt job = £60 - 70; head job + valves + valvegear = a ruddy fortune!
JB.

Bob Eckersley
23-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I have been advised by my dealer that I should replace the cam belt on my VW Golf V5 2003 30,000 miles. Is he touting for business, or what?
The Cirencester dealer has charged me a total of £1144.23 for a service at 66000 miles on a golf 1.4. This included a cam belt change, due at 120000 miles (and 2 tyres). Sounds like the old profit margins need a boost to me.

Eshrules
23-02-2007, 11:26 AM
The Cirencester dealer has charged me a total of £1144.23 for a service at 66000 miles on a golf 1.4. This included a cam belt change, due at 120000 miles (and 2 tyres). Sounds like the old profit margins need a boost to me.

:aargh4: how much? what did he do, replace every wear and tear item?? its only a 1.4! ok, 66k, lets see... major service, timing belt and tensioner, in the region of around 300/500 yes, but nearly £1200!? id ask to see what hes done for that price......

Pimped-Passat
23-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I posted something last night about the costs of cam belt changes, basically to point out the vast differences in prices even at main dealers.... and at an "independent"...

Get this...

VW Doncaster
Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £278 (£350 if you want the water pump doing at the same time)

VW York
Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £409 (was too scared to ask about adding the water pump to the job..!!!)

Independant (Leeds)
Cam belt change inc bits (not VW bits), labour and VAT = £376, but this DID include the water pump.

Is a Cam belt change really such a big job..? I hear the "book" time for doing the job is 4 hours, but often hear people say it's an hour and a half job to a decent VW Technician.

Are there any VW Technicians out there that would like to comment (anonymously of course..!)

Come on, what's the real time on this job...?

Cheers
Mark

Eshrules
23-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I posted something last night about the costs of cam belt changes, basically to point out the vast differences in prices even at main dealers.... and at an "independent"...

Get this...

VW Doncaster
Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £278 (£350 if you want the water pump doing at the same time)

VW York
Cam belt change inc bits, labour and VAT = £409 (was too scared to ask about adding the water pump to the job..!!!)

Independant (Leeds)
Cam belt change inc bits (not VW bits), labour and VAT = £376, but this DID include the water pump.

Is a Cam belt change really such a big job..? I hear the "book" time for doing the job is 4 hours, but often hear people say it's an hour and a half job to a decent VW Technician.

Are there any VW Technicians out there that would like to comment (anonymously of course..!)

Come on, what's the real time on this job...?

Cheers
Mark

maybe skidmark could comment? he is apparently a vw main dealer techinician...? :beerchug:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=7028

MalcQV
23-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Expensive. The cheapest Ferrari full service with cambelt change comes out at about £1000, which is expensive I know, but £1150 :rolleyes:!!!

seraph
23-02-2007, 11:09 PM
The Cirencester dealer has charged me a total of £1144.23 for a service at 66000 miles on a golf 1.4. This included a cam belt change, due at 120000 miles (and 2 tyres).

Sounds high, ask for a more detailed breakdown....

If its sound, get the tyres from somewhere else for starters, as Vag will buy them dear-ish and then wack on their margin.

skymaster
24-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I would say he is not so much touting for business as totally taking the Piddle. A V5 golf does not have a cam belt!!! It's chain driven!!!!

I used to have a V5 golf. I also used to work in a dealers in the service dept. Cam belts were a very hight profit job. I think they would charge roughtly 3.5 hours labour, maybe 4 hours. Some of the guys had it done in 3 hrs, some could do it in 2. There were a couple of bonus hungry guys that could have it done in 1 and a half hours! maybe less!

Paul Jay
25-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi mate

I wouldn't worry. Skymaster is right, if you've got a V5, you don't have a cam belt! It's a timing chain on the V5, so if someone is trying to tempt you into a job you don't need tell them where to get off!;)

skymaster
25-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Is it a proper VW dealer that is trying to sell you the cambelt? Or an independant garage? Maybe you should humour them and say 'Yes, please I would like it done' Get them to give you a full price breakdown including the price and part numbers of the cambelt kit parts as well. With any luck after trying to look up the parts for the engine code they will realise what idiots they have been.

I am sure that both the 10 valve and later 20 valve V5 2.3 engine has a chain and not a belt. There is no interval to change the chain either.

Sounds Like severe muppettry going on here!