PDA

View Full Version : Question Vacuum Pump replacement T4 1996

Gilbz
18-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I know the Vacuum pump is the cause of my horrible rattle so I have a new one here (had if for the past year!) but haven't had the time to replace it.

Yesterday thanks to Kenney I worked out how the front radiator lifts out and I can see the Vacuum Pump.

Is it easy to replace?
Any advice?

Speaking to a VW mechanic last year he said there is a shaft inside the unit which needs to be slotted in and is fiddly. I think the way he described it was when the engines are put together at the manufacturers the Pump is bolted on when the engine is at an angle.
As the engine is sat in the engine bay the Pump is tipped and this causes problems aligning the shaft.

Can someone elaborate or offer advice?

Thanks in advance!

Freshup
18-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi,
Easy to replace once radiator is pulled forward. Hose just pulls off. 2 nuts, lower one a bit tricky (access from underneath) then pump drops out. Pushrod, about 3" long 1/2" dia will fall out. Put some grease on it before refitting. This will hold in place long enough to fit pump.
Cheers

Gilbz
24-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Another job done today!
Thanks for the warning about the puch rod, almost clanked me on the head when it fell out.

One thing I will add to your instructions is the pushrod is obviously 'pushed' by a cam in the engine.
If it is stuck out then crank the engine back slightly untill it almost sits flush with the housing.

I'm no mechanic but worked this out!