PDA

View Full Version : Question DSG - rollback on hills

silverdale
17-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have just bought a 56 plate A3 2.O 170 TDI DSG. This is the first time i have owned an automatic car, although I have driven a few as hire cars. I live in an area where there are quite a lot of steep hills and have noticed that if I have my foot on the brake and the car in D, the car starts to roll back quite a bit when i take my foot of the brake, before picking up again. I have been using the handbrake just in case, where there is any kind of a steep incline.
It may just be that I'm not drving the car quite right yet but I wondered what other members did when stopped in traffic on a hill. I find myself worrying that the car will roll back when someone is right close behind me.

I'd be really grateful for any views/advice.:D

a8 tech
17-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Its not automatic its a manual so treat the same as a manual okdoky

Brandenburger
20-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi there i also have the automatic 2.0tdi and know what you mean with it rolling back even on small hills i just keep my foot on the brake when needed and pop it in neutral, but what a pleasure it is to drive, a manual is exhausting in comparison over a long journey.

silverdale
20-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - glad it's not just me !!!
Yes I agree it's a great car to drive and so much less hassle than a manual - fuel consumption is good too.

Brandenburger
01-07-2008, 09:56 PM
What mpg are you having Silverdale ?

I am returning 47/48mpg it has 9000mls on so hopefully it will go up a bit.

Brandenburger.

silverdale
02-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Most of the driving so far has been around town so I'm currently getting about 43/44 mpg. I've been up to Manchester and back last week which is about 400 miles round trip and I reckon I am getting 49 ish on longer trips. I think that would be early 50s if I stayed at a steady 70-75mph - you really notice the consumption go up after that. Mine has 16000 miles on. Presume your 47/48 is not all urban driving?

Brandenburger
04-07-2008, 05:58 PM
No,its not all urban i do a lot of my driving in North Yorkshire with my job,so A1/A64+
a lot of long B roads through the beautiful countryside,i would say i do about 40% urban but my weakness is using the auto to pull away fast at junctions it becomes addictive ,and think of the diesel........!!!

thanks.

shawn2630
03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
hi mate what i do with mine is left foot braking, hold the brake pedal with your left foot whilst keeping your right foot on the accelarator to bring the revs up as your setting off.
this method also works well when you want to blitz someone from the lights!

CrispDust
17-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Its not a good idea to put handbrake on at hill stop since the DSG box then "slips" its clutch - you can detect this as it squats down then partially lifts again. This will cause premature clutch wear. You need to put both foot and handbrake on (DSG always disengages when brake pedal pressed at standstill).
Or just get the hang of releasing the brake a tad earlier and a little bit of throttle to engage DSG a smidge earlier than you need it.

Brandenburger
13-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Thats right its all down to technique,so pleased with the auto and the
car has only done 15000mls 07 plate.;)

berniea3140tdi
14-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have just bought a 56 plate A3 2.O 170 TDI DSG. This is the first time i have owned an automatic car, although I have driven a few as hire cars. I live in an area where there are quite a lot of steep hills and have noticed that if I have my foot on the brake and the car in D, the car starts to roll back quite a bit when i take my foot of the brake, before picking up again. I have been using the handbrake just in case, where there is any kind of a steep incline.
It may just be that I'm not drving the car quite right yet but I wondered what other members did when stopped in traffic on a hill. I find myself worrying that the car will roll back when someone is right close behind me.

I'd be really grateful for any views/advice.:D

Hi, I have a 2006 a3 140 tdi sline fully loaded with 4500 miles when bought in the summer and i found it strange at first when hill starting , but if you lift off the brake pedal very slowly the car just drives away ,a little throttle and its great . I think the DSG is superb i wouldn,t have a manual again have you tried out the "launch control"feature yet ? not for the faint hearted ,but boy do you move away at a rate of knots !

A2A6
06-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi all,

First ever post on this useful forum........ We've just got a 1 yr old 2.0TDI SE S-Tronic (DSG) A3 and I have to say I think it's great. Effortless, smooth.

In our handbook it talks about a feature called "Hill hold assist". It says that when you press and hold the brake for a few seconds, upon release the brake pressure will maintained for a moment whilst your foot moves to the accelerator to pull away.

It is followed by a warning saying that if you don't move away immediately the car could roll back.

Paul