PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Sparking at the distributor cap

welsty2003
16-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Hello all,

I have just done my intro and now as promised I am going to ask my 1st question. Hope someone can help me before I have to go to a garage.

For quite some time now I have been aware of a misfire on my '91 Audi 100 2.3E and almost straight away managed to see the problem. However. getting the problem to go away is proving difficult!

There is sparking at the distributor cap between the coil lead and the cap, you can visibly see it in the dark and there are stains on the plastic from the sparks. Obviously when there is a spark here, there isn't one at the spark plug, hence the misfire.

The distributor was replaced about a year ago by my local garage after the car conked out completely. At around the same time I changed the HT leads as I didn't know how old they were. The car ran perfectly fine until about 2 months ago when it developed an intermittent misfire and it slowly got worse. I changed the distributor cap and rotor arm but this failed to solve the problem. One evening the car cut out on me completely and the only way I could get it to run was to use the old coil HT lead which I luckily had in the boot. It was at this point that I noticed the sparking at the coil HT lead onto the cap.

The car ran fine again for a while but recently it got really bad again. I noticed the spark was there again and so decided to get another HT lead for the coil. I got a genuine one from the local dealer just to be sure but the problem remains. I now have evidence of sparking on several of the other connections of the distributor cap and the car is losing power.

I have noticed that the problem gets worse the longer the engine has been running, almost no problem at startup and after about 3 or 4 miles it is really bad.

Could this problem be the coil? I don't want to replace it unnecessarily as I suspect they will be quite expensive!

Any help on this would be gratefully received.

kenney
16-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Have you had a look at your plugs

welsty2003
16-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Kenney, thanks for asking, yes, sorry, forgot to mention that the plugs were replaced about 2500 miles ago and no change either. basically everything between the coil and the combustion chamber in the cylinder head has been replaced.