PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my new to me 80tdi Avant

cenick
15-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi,
I have just bouugt a 95 tdi 80 avant and have a few issues with it.
The first is that sometimes on pulling away from a start nothing happens I lift off the gas and press down a few times and away I go!
So I tried today revving it when I was stopped today and it picks up really slow, like delayed action almost, could this a fuel pump related issue??
Secondly there is a lot of black smoke even on mild acceleration, could this be the egr blocked?
It has 150k on it has had cambelt done etc, due an oil change now.

One thing that a prior owner had done due to a faulty ecu was to have the glowplugs changed to a manual switch approx 4 years ago.

I'd be grateful for you comments as I'd like to sort what is essentially a good motor!
Many thanks
Steve

cenick
15-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi,
I have just found a split pipe, the one after the maf and the solid platic pipe, changed this with a bit of tube leftover from a Discovery conversion and hey presto it revs a lot better and picks up a lot better!
The black smoke issue is still with me though! I had a look through some of the history that I have with the car and it does mention several times on MOT's about black smoke.
Its quite embarrising when putting your foot down a bit you leave a black fog behind.

I was thinking maybe the pump timing is off somewhat, unless anyone has other suggestions, has anyone used the stuff you get in motor shops to stop black smoke?

Cheers
Steve