PDA

View Full Version : A4 .18T speed sensor problem. HELP!

a4_jim
14-06-2008, 01:32 PM
My first post and unlucky it has to be one with a problem about my CVT. Gearbox type is "GHW"...does this mean the the multitronic slush box? http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/images/smilies/bye.gif

I brought a 2004 A4 1.8T (non S line) and everything is fine with the car apart from the CVT "speed sensor". My mech tells me this part is not like the old B5 but actually encased inside the "automatic gearbox control unit" which lives inside the gearbox.

I understand the unit is submerged in ATF oil but how does it read the speed from the gearbox? Does the contorl unit have any mechanical parts attached to the outside that bad ATF oil could affect it?

I'm trying to weigh out the differences in buying a new control unit to trying my luck by changing the ATF oil. I read online that it maybe possible to fix this error code by just changeing the ATF oil. However, ATF oil isnt cheap at 86 pounds for 8lts required but could save me a small fortune. New control unit is 400 pounds + 86 ATF oil + 100 labour charges.

Does my gearbox really take 7.7lts or ATF.

Billion thanks!

Jim
p.s.
Located in HK but originally from UK.

Crasher
14-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, the GHW is a Multichronic mush box. If the code is for G182, then yes that is built into the ECU which is 8E0 910 155 K according to my reckoning and is nearly £700 here so if it is £400 there I for one would like to know why! Changing the ATF alone would not cure that fault in my experience.

a4_jim
14-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Crasher

Thanks for your reply.

The gearbox ECU should be around 700 at Audi but vagparts sell it for 480. Its also 700 at Audi in HK but a shop here can do for 400 pounds. I guess different channels of import/export allow for a lower price in HK.

I've just brought the A4 and had my mech vagcom the car for him to comment their is speed sensor fault. He thought the B6 would be like the B5 where one can changed the faulty sensor but he was wrong. I wont blame him as whats done is done. I worry that the problem could arise again after a new gearbox ecu has been fitted.

I dont have any records that the gearbox oil has been changed as car is used. Does it really take 7.7lts of ATF oil?

Considering chipping the car as I have only 163bhp but I know the S line has 190bhp. Do these two models have the same gearbox? If so, would this indicate my gearbox can take a min increase to 190bhp without causing any damage? My last question is do you know how much power this gearbox can handle?

Thanks for your input.

J

Yes, the GHW is a Multichronic mush box. If the code is for G182, then yes that is built into the ECU which is 8E0 910 155 K according to my reckoning and is nearly £700 here so if it is £400 there I for one would like to know why! Changing the ATF alone would not cure that fault in my experience.

Crasher
14-06-2008, 11:09 PM
7.7 litres is the dry capacity, a wet change would take approximately half that if the in line filter wasn’t being changed and the system purged, which is advisable. The ECU fault is unlikely to re-occur BUT there are a number of other faults that could occur later. To say I have a low opinion of this box is an understatement. They cause me too much trouble and are not something any sensible mechanic likes. Those not in the trade would think they are manna from heaven, bringing in lots of work but that just isn’t the case. What happens to me all too often is that I get a new customer with a nice four or five year Audi come in and I think, great a new customer. Then I have to tell them that the car (worth about 5 to 10K) needs a 5 to 6K box change and the next thing I know is they are an ex new customer, so those boxes really hack me off!