PDA

View Full Version : about to buy a MK3 Golf TDi Esate...

rob_a
08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi all.

Having done a bit of research for what car to buy I settled on a MK3 Golf TDi estate.

I'm going to look at one on Saturday: it's a P reg & has a full service history and new cam belt (by all accounts) - I'm getting a reasonable part exchange on my old heap. The only possible sticking point is that it has 137,000 miles on, but given that I only average 4,000 miles a year that doesn't bother me too much - my main concern is that it'll carry on for another 30 odd thousand without bankrupting me!

any thoughts:confused:

Eshrules
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
as far as the engine is concerned, should be good for 200k dependant on the service history and the general state of the car, if its been well looked after.... speaks for itself really.

check for the common failures, shock absorbers, suspension bushes, steering and drivetrain.

also, make sure you take it for a stretch on a fast road, get the revs high and make sure you use all gears, see if it moves smoothly, any hesitancy could suggest a couple of things.

you dont mention if this is at a dealer or a private purchase?

rob_a
08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
cheers for the info, I'll make sure I check out that stuff.

it's a dealer purchase.

Eshrules
08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
be sure to make sure then, that all wear & tear items are not failing LOL, if you spot these before picking/signing for the car, the dealer will sort them for you or reduce the price accordingly, all other parts will be coverd by the stautory 3 mnth warranty main dealers are obliged to offer. main things id say are the bushes, shockers and discs/pads. let us know how you get on!!:beerchug:

rob_a
09-01-2007, 09:36 AM
the place I'm going isn't a main dealer but an independant, it doesn't seem any mains offer cars under £5,000! so not sure what if any warranty they offer... but will be sure to check tyres. So bushes, shocks and discs/pads are usually considered 'wear & tear' items?

thefoolmccool
09-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi

Having owned one of these cars before, I will point out the main problems I have come accross / heard of:

Rust around arches and on doors around plastic trim (even bubbling paint work)

Front tyres worn on inside due to incorrect tracking

Catalyic convertor issues, tend to go arround this time. Check for blow outs anywhere in the exhaust

Turbo on its way out, heavy smoking upon acceleration

Clutch issues, check for slipping by putting the car in gear and trying to take off while holding the brake pedal. Should stall

Head / gasket issues, check for oil residue in the expansion tank or yellow sludge on dip stick or oil filler cap

Check also for signs of mileage tampering (overly worn driver seat, pedals, gear knob etc)

Listen for any noises when on the test drive, especially when turning the steering wheel

Check for smoke when the car is first started, and be wary if the edaler always has the car warmed up when you are looking. Call 15-20 mins early

But all in all these cars are great and I would have another one tomorrow. The engines are pretty bullet proof and although the body and interior are pretty low-frills, they are very reliable.

rob_a
23-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Thought I'd better just check in to day I bought the Golf - it's in pretty good nick & all. I took it out for a good motorway run at the weekend and the only issue is that the steering seems to pull to the inside if you let go of the wheel, especially when braking.

My usual garage is having a look at it (as part of a general service) and the general consensus is that it's a nice little number.

Will check back in if the steering turns into a saga. let's hope not. :D

NicholasP
23-01-2007, 10:32 PM
golfs tend to do that. Not sure why. Mine has been tracked etc but still wants to go left very slightly. Ive read about it before too.

Whats this about the turbo...and smoking. My mk3 has 140k...and it gets quite smokey...how can i work out if the turbos going?

Nick

adamss24
23-01-2007, 11:00 PM
golfs tend to do that. Not sure why. Mine has been tracked etc but still wants to go left very slightly. Ive read about it before too.

Whats this about the turbo...and smoking. My mk3 has 140k...and it gets quite smokey...how can i work out if the turbos going?

Nick
Put the gear stick in fifth and bury the accelerator. If it smokes blue/black like orient express, the turbo seals are gone ! Blue means oil gets burned, black means too much fuel and turbo cannot hold boost.Blake smoke could also mean worn injector nozzles or a clogged up air filter !

NicholasP
24-01-2007, 12:17 AM
hmmm my car has been chipped..so when i floor it, it tends to smoke but mainly after ive been cruising in town...ive heard that excessive cruising leads to build up, so when you floor it there will be quite a bit of smoke..

I cant imagine the turbo is going, car is so dam quick! Anyway..ill try some more injector cleaner..do you recommend any specific one?

Eshrules
24-01-2007, 09:17 AM
the place I'm going isn't a main dealer but an independant, it doesn't seem any mains offer cars under £5,000! so not sure what if any warranty they offer... but will be sure to check tyres. So bushes, shocks and discs/pads are usually considered 'wear & tear' items?

yep, shocking i know, but most warranties i know of consider shocks, bushes and discs/pads wear and tear items. the only way to get these done is if you specifically ask for them to be checked and replaced if needed, your dealer will have to agree to this and make sure anything you ask to be done gets put down on the relevant paperwork, this will come in handy if theres a dispute later...

also, every 'trade' dealer, by law, is required to offer a 3 month parts & labour warranty. this normally covers mechanical failure, such as engine, gearbox, clutch, etc... you see where im going with this?? be pro-active, be a stickler and make sure you're happy with the car before you take it away, youll be laughing :beerchug: