PDA

View Full Version : Please Help drivers window motor groaning

SWARCUP
13-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi all
can anyone help ive had a 1996 1.9td estate for a few years now and the drivers door window has stopped working in the up position, ive tried 3 second hand motors which im assured are all ok, ive bought a new regulator from VW, nothing doing still.
Are there any relays which control power to the windows, could it be the switch? it still controls the passenger window ok,all it does when you press the button is make a quiet groaning noise which happened the same on all the other motors i tried, bit peeved now,as ive spent a load and got nowhere. my manual says to look for the thermal cut out switch(circuit breaker) but where is it and what does it look like?:1zhelp:

SWARCUP
14-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorted
The Wire Where The Door Closed Had Broken

Feel A Bit Silly Now

tatham
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Sorted
The Wire Where The Door Closed Had Broken

As a matter of interest (I have 2 non-working windows!) how did you discover the break? Was it really obvious, or did you do some continuity testing with a meter? (any help you have is welcomed ...)

Colin

HorseOffaGypsy
07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Had the same problem (broken wires to the windows) on a Sharan. It was easy to spot - pull back the rubber gaiter between the door pillar and door and the fractured ends were easy to see. (Wasn't so easy to fix them due to the limited space but straight crimps do the job quite well).

SWARCUP
10-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes it was dead easy, you pull back the black rubber tube that goes between door and car and it was sat there a broken brown wire, all i did was to reconnect using those insulated crimped connectors and it worked perfectly, i only looked for a break because i knew the motor was ok, i found this out by connecting the drivers motor to the passenger door and it worked fine so it had to be something else, its just the constent opening and closing of the door broke it, ithe motor still made a groaning noise when i pressed the button because when the door was shut the 2 broken ends would touch but not well enough to get the electricity through properly.

tatham
15-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the wiring again.

misfitmaster
15-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I have a similar problem-but cannot figure it out. I have a 93 Passat GLX and my driver window and the opposite window in the rear work. The passenger and rear window (behind driver)will not roll down at all. I can hear clicking from the window module located under rear seat. I have power to all windows but those two will not work and I am burning up! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks