PDA

View Full Version : A4 black B-pillars.

Dougster
12-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a silver avant but noticed swirl marks on the black B-pillars in the sun tonight.

Just about to go out and try and get a paint depth reading off them and give them a machine polish.

Anyone tried similar with good results?

Christian6984
28-06-2008, 11:43 AM
yeah machine polishing should be fine, i would be careful tho and use a DA rather than a rotary as the plastic cannot dissipate heat the same (hence why it is easy to burn through edges of painted plastic such as bumpers and some front wings (like my renault clio). I take it the pillars are shiny my dads golf mkv has a matt finish to it.

I tend to use meguiars but other products would do the job, if they are plastic then megs do Plastic-X with may be work a try i have seen good result when applied to head lights via DA's. as for polishes

start of with say a polishing/finishing pad and say scratch x, #80, #83....
Menzerna, FF, IP, PG
3M, ultrafina, extra fine, fast cut plus.

is a rough guide but i wouldnt think anything too aggressive would be needed so start with the least aggressive and work ur way up waxing for protection afterwards (but check your work frequently to be safe)

Thanx Christian

Dougster
28-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I have a UDM and most of the products you mention.

Now to find some dry weather and time.....

Christian6984
29-06-2008, 01:44 AM
good point, i keep meanin to get round to the high level break light on the clio. one of these days eh

NIgolf
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
menzerna 106 on a spot pad, make sure you tape you the rubber around it though!

Will come up perfect

Ryan (detailni .com)