PDA

View Full Version : T4 1.9 Abl 1999

col24980
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi guys, hope you can help me.
The van started cutiing out as the engine got hot or after driving for about 5 miles.
There is 2 wires going into a black box on top of the pump which are -ive without the ignition on and +ive with ignition on, when the van cuts out, 1 wire is +ive and one is -ive.
Relay 137 has been changed as the owner had he's own wiring diagram and he was under the impression that this is the fuel shut off relay.

Also when you have the engine running and turn off the ignition, the engine will continue to run for about 10-15 seconds.

My wiring diagram (elsa) shows that this vehicle has the dreaded relay 109 but I can't find it, any ideas??:confused:

woodsy
15-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I have the same problem with my 1999 T4 1.9TDi! Your post gave me a clue to my problem. My van starts lovely from cold. Maybe once a week it would decide it would not start from hot, usualy if I was out running around. If I left it for 20 minutes it would always restart.

My clue was the little orange glow plug light! if I turn the ignition and the glow plug light did not iluminate I knew it would not start even before giving it a crank. I have no idea yet what relay 137 does, but if I pull it out, (dont forget to hold down the clip on thed top right hand side of the relay) I recreate the hot start problem, ie no starting and no glow plug light.

with hindsight I was aware of the problem and ignored it for about a year. It has only been a problem the last month, and is getting progresively worse.

my symptoms were,when turning the ignition key from cold the glow plug light would either light or not light. If the glow plug light did not iluminate I got into a habit of turning the ignition key back and then on again usaualy resulting in the glow plug light iluminating. Strangely if the glow plug light was not iluminated it did not affect cold starting.

I have no idea what relay 137 does, but it obviously brings together several systems into one little packaged problem area. I am guessing that the relay controls the glow plug system, fuel shut of valves and possibly more, maybe temperature sensors. It is certantly the most complex relay I have ever seen.

Think I will be buying a new relay this week. Will let you know how I get on.