PDA

View Full Version : A4 Demist

Sky
08-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Hello to everyone, I'm brand new to this Forum and a brand new Audi owner (me that is, not the car). Couple of techie questions I could do with help on;

1. Demist doesn't seem to work, no matter what selection I make no air seems to come out of the top. Is it a switch pigs on my part or is it a tricky fix??

2. Rear brakes pads are in need of replacement, doesn't look too big a job but if anyone has any top tips I'd appreciate it.

RGDS

Sky

RickT
08-01-2007, 01:17 AM
which year is the car??

when you press the switch does it light up orange?? or is it the switch,, as if it lights up it could be the flaps which are stuck..

In rears to the pads... you need to get piston pusher tool, which screw the pistons back into the calipers.. or you can make one out of a old socket... cut to groves and there you go..

RickT

Sky
08-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks Rick. It's a 2003 model. The switch does light up so it's possible the flaps are stuck is it? Tch.

Thanks for the tip on the brakes, on to that today.

Sky

Teutonic_Tamer
08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Hello to everyone, I'm brand new to this Forum and a brand new Audi owner (me that is, not the car). Couple of techie questions I could do with help on;

1. Demist doesn't seem to work, no matter what selection I make no air seems to come out of the top. Is it a switch pigs on my part or is it a tricky fix??

OK, try these. Firstly, with engine at tickover and radio off, press the "up" button on and off slowly - you should be able to hear the distrbution flaps opening and closing, it takes about 1½ seconds for the flaps to go from fully closed to fully open and vice-versa. Secondly, with the "Auto" off (no red LED), the "up" on (with red LED on), and the centre and footwell also off, turn on the blower - do you feel any air coming out of the screen vent? Thirdly, make sure the recirc button is OFF. Fourthly, when was the pollen filter changed? Pollen filters are known to cause screen misting, and unfortunately need changing every 12 months, therefore LongLife servicing does these no good, however, they are very, very easy to change.

If these are all OK, it may simply be down to the way you use your air-con - more on this issue later, if needed.

2. Rear brakes pads are in need of replacement, doesn't look too big a job but if anyone has any top tips I'd appreciate it.

As RickT mentioned, you really do need a caliper piston winding tool. It can be done without one, using an array of pliers, G-cramps, sawn-off sockets, etc, but unless you really have the knack, you'll probably end up loosing more skin off your knuckles than pounds out of your wallet. If you plan on doing them ore than once, it really makes sense to buy the proper tool.

One (very helpful and important) tip - once you have installed the new pads and re-attached the caliper, do NOT re-attach the handbrake cable yet. Firstly, pump the brake pedal (full travel, very hard) with the engine off, until "normal" pedal travel is achieved, then fire up engine, giving the brake pedal a couple more full pressure pumps. You can now re-connect the handbrake cable.

RGDS

Sky

Rgds

Sky
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Sorted the demist. Thanks for the inputs, must admit though I'm not quite sure how. I think the same problem existed before and self cured itself in the same way. During a run down the motorway junior accidentally (OK he fiddles with switches) motored the system to fully cold. We both heard what sounded like hail hitting the windscreen for about 5 seconds and then it stopped abruptly. Later on I tried the demist and It was fully functional. Problem is the car gets protracted periods of idleness when I'm working so I think it could be a flap or whatever is buried inside sticking around the edge. Can't say for sure.

Thanks for all the help guys, will report back on the fun with the brakes when I'm done.

Sky:)