PDA

View Full Version : Ipod In M5 Golf GT Sport TDI

ipilot
11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been looking at the after market suppliers to find a suitable kit to install in my 2008 Mk5 Golf GT Sport TDI that will allow me to play my ipod through the factory fitted car radio/cd.

Firstly, what model will it me in my Golf, it’s the standard fitment but damned if I can find the model number of the radio in any of the manuals or publicity literature.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a suitable ipod connection kit. i.e. a kit that will allow me to just plug in my ipod and control it via the radio/cd head unit just like the factory fit ipod kit would.

Cheers
Mark

A4Ade
12-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Have you tried xcarlink (http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=2)? I fitted one in my A4 and it works a treat :D

For a 2008 car I'd have thought the dealer you bought it from should be able to tell you what stereo is in it. Or, you could try a google image search on the different models that the xcarlink supports until you find the one you have. Here's a couple of possibilities to get you started:

RCD300 (http://kuniseins.ku.funpic.de/CdcEmu/Graphics/VW_RCD300.jpg)
RCD500 (http://www.volkswagen.bg/files/bg/element/text_pic/1026197303.jpg)

ipilot
12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for that, from the pics its the RCD300

GDEvans
23-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Be aware that with the RCD300, you will not be able to see track and artist names on the head unit. I believe it shows "Track x of xxx" - not very informative if your ipod is in your glovebox.

I am looking to upgrade my head unit to a double DIN Pioneer unit that does everything including built in bluetooth.

ipilot
23-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Be aware that with the RCD300, you will not be able to see track and artist names on the head unit. I believe it shows "Track x of xxx" - not very informative if your ipod is in your glovebox.

I am looking to upgrade my head unit to a double DIN Pioneer unit that does everything including built in bluetooth.

That soundslike an interesting idea. Let us know which unit you go for and what mods you have to do to fit it.. Cheers.

GDEvans
23-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm probably going for the Pioneer FH-P80BT.
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/121/61/FH-P80BT/index.html

It has a USB socket on the rear for connecting an ipod or other units. I believe the only mod that is required is a switched power connection for when you turn off the ignition, plus a fascia adaptor.

RobD_GT140
24-06-2008, 11:36 AM
VW dealer will fit one for £125 into existing stereo. I had one added to into GT Sport as already had the armrest minus the ipod connection.

maceire
30-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Can you by the armrest for the Mk 5 with an ipod connection provision. You dont have the part number for that by any chance

GDEvans
30-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Can you by the armrest for the Mk 5 with an ipod connection provision. You dont have the part number for that by any chance

I've seen various articles on how to fit the armrest, so it must be available as a part from your dealer.

Be aware that with the ipod armrest kit, you will not be able to see the artists or track names on the head unit. This is not possible with the standard VW head units.

RobD_GT140
07-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi,

With reference to -

"You mentioned in a post recently that you had an ipod connection fitted to your Golf:

"VW dealer will fit one for £125 into existing stereo. I had one added to into GT Sport as already had the armrest minus the ipod connection."

What exactly did they fit for you, and where did they fit it?"

The dealer fitted an ipod connector into the glove compartment using the CD autochanger connection on the back of the standard golf MP3 stereo. The ipod connects via a standard ipod dock connection. Once connected the ipod will show the VW logo on the screen and you can control the device via the headunit.

I have tested this with both the new ipod classic 160GB and an older ipod mini 4GB, both of which had the latest fiirmware installed from apple.

Thanks
Rob

maceire
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi Rob, Just wondering. You mentioned that your standard VW Radio had MP3. My own golf has just the RCD 300 which looks the very same except it aint got the Mp3 on the facia. I have seen these radios on EBAY and was thinking on getting one but I was wondering. Do you get the track info/album info on you head unit screen. I know I wouldnt on my standard unit but maybe on yours. Could ya let me know that would be great

GDEvans
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
The difference between the two versions of the RCD300 is that the original version will only play normal CDs, whereas the MP3 version will play CD-ROMs which have MP3s burnt onto them. An MP3 CD will not play in a normal CD player. I suspect (but cannot be sure) that this version will not display the artist and track info.

Neither version of the RCD300 will display artist or track info when they have an ipod connected to the CD changer socket, either using the VW interface or an aftermarket solution.

The downside of the standard VW interface is that it displays the VW logo on the ipod screen. This prevents you from viewing track info on the ipod, meaning you are completely blind and cannot navigate effectively through the tracks.

I believe the only sensible option is to upgrade the head unit.

RobD_GT140
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi,

The VW solution actually displays the track information on the ipod itself. Only when there is no track playing does the VW logo display on the ipod.

Im unsure if this is the same for none VW units as I have had no exposure to these.

maceire
07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm trying to keep the car looking as OEM as possible. Any suggestions on what Oem head unit would help me display the track names

JohnWithAGolf
07-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi All,
I've just bought an MFD2 sat nav/radio from eBay, and I'm really dissapointed that the sat nav can't run unless the map DVD is in it, meaning that I can't play any CDs!
It looks great, although the screen is years behind TomTom, it's still a lot better than the 'primary school calculator' LCD screen of the RCD300 I had before.
Back to the point, I now can't play any music without taking the map disc out, can anyone reccomend an MP3 adaptor and how/where to fit it?

Teflon
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm trying to keep the car looking as OEM as possible. Any suggestions on what Oem head unit would help me display the track names
The original VW iPod adapter is so poor and lacking in features that it looks as if they have discontinued from the latest version of the price lists. If you want to keep the VW look your only option now seems to be to fit an aftemarket iPod adapter and view the tracks on that.

My suggestion would be the Harmon Kardon Drive & Play 2. It looks the biz, has selectable colours to match the car instruments and switchgear and it will connect into the standard radio either directly in the CD changer plug or into the aerial cable as a "station" on the radio . It will plug into the cigar lighter cocket or if you want a professional looking job it can be integrated.

It's now available in this country for about £200. Bluetooth add-on module comes later. Don't bother with the original Drive & Play that you can get from Halfords for about £50 - that one isn't anywhere near as good.

try this link http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-2/ and this one http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-2/docs/dp2_qsg.pdf

GDEvans
08-07-2008, 10:40 AM

I believe the only units that will do it are the horrendously expensive RNS510, or the brand new RCD510. That's why I'm looking at a 3rd party solution.