PDA

View Full Version : VW transporter T4 steering problem

Leddo
11-06-2008, 01:51 PM
My 1996 T4 2.4D has been pulling to the left for a while now and has been scrubbing the outside of the passengers side front tyre. There was occasionally also a slow wobble coming through the steering wheel this was worse at low speeds.
I have since replaced the ball joints on the top on both sides and the lower one on the passengers side, this has helped with the pulling to the left problem, although it does still pull to the left it is only say 70% of driving time compared the 100% previously. The steering wheel still feeds back a slow wobble at slow speeds, and I haven’t done enough driving to know if it is still scrubbing the passenger side tyre.
I have had the tracking checked which was fine.
My next thoughts are to check that the wheels are balanced correctly but other than that I’m running out of ideas.
If anyone has any thoughts or has experienced a similar problem I’d be grateful for your input.
Many thanks
John

solarboy
23-09-2008, 10:15 PM
How about checking the INNER track rod joints under the bellows. You're meant to use a special tool to hold the rack still when you unscrew the track rods, but i used Stilsons (carefully). Also could be rack-pinion mesh eg. new rack.
To check inner joints, clip nylock peel back boot and grip both halves of the joint while someone else rocks the steering wheel.
Also could be your bottom wishbone joint, specially if it knocks on rough roads turning in the opposite direction to the affected joint.
I realise this question was posted a while back so I'm replying for other ppl.

Jeddy3
30-05-2015, 09:42 PM
I am experiencing the very same problem after having a new rack fitted. I've taken it back to the garage and they say that nothing is wrong, and its just the camber on the road. they've checked the tracking again, but it was fine... what to do?! it seems inconsistant and sometimes pulls more to the left than other times, and at low speeds cornering there is a slight rhythmical tug to the steering wheel.

could it be tyres?