PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2.0 Vento Misfire / Non Starter

Bustem
10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello new here so please be gentle :D

I own a 1994 2.0 GL vento with a 2E engine which has an intermitant misfire it loose`s power then picks up again sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row but never stops completely at first it only seemed to do it after it had been driven for about 10 - 15 mins but lately it seems to do it when it feels like it .
Sometimes i can switch it off and go back to it a few minutes later and it wont start give it a few goes and eventually it will.
I changed the Engine Managment Sensor in the water pipe that seemed to cure it for a couple of weeks then it came back again.
So far i have changed the following :
coil / dizzy cap / rotor arm / leads / fuel pump relay / plugs etc etc
I have had it on a fault code reader it came up with the Eng Man Sensor but nothing else so i guess its beyond the realms of what is controlled by the ECU
Anyone any ideas before ive torn all my hair out :confused:

cheers

Crasher
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
What was the fault code number it came up with? Two common problems with the 2E (apart from ones you have already addressed) are distributor hall sender failure and poor solder joints in the ECU relay. A new relay is VW part number 165 906 381 and has the number 30 printed on top and is at location 3 on the fuse box, top row third from the left. The hall sender is a bit more difficult to deal with. The best way is to fit a VW exchange distributor which is part number 037 905 237 AX (replacing your 037 905 205 J) and costs £103 inc. VAT exchange. Timing the distributor requires diagnostic equipment such as a registered copy of VAG-COM to put the ECU into what is known as Basic Settings 04, group 000.

Bustem
11-06-2008, 09:30 PM
The exact info i got from the machine is as follows :

Code 00522 engine coolant temp sender g62 no trouble type recognised error occurs intermittent.

As far as my research goes that code only relates to the coolant temp sender

Crasher
11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
So that leaves the ECU relay to try next.