PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.0TDI Tyre wear and type of tyres

Bigblackbus
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi All

I have had my 06 2.0TDI Stylance from new and it has now only covered 12,000 miles. I have noticed that the front tyres are already down to the wear indicators and more worryingly the inner edges of both tyres are completely bald.

The tyres fitted from new are Dunlop Sport 01's 225/45 R17

The car is used for a combination of motorway, A and B roads. Short local journeys are made in our runabout.

Talking to my local tyre dealer about replacements he told me that the tyres must be reinforced for this car and that the Dunlop Sport 01s are not. I therefore have a couple questions for you knowledgeable lot out there!

Can i expect to get more that 12000 miles from a set of front tyres?

Has anyone else got Dunlop Sport 01's fitted from new?

Interestingly I rang my dealer who said the car should indeed have reinforced tyres and that I should get new ones fitted, keep the receipt and the old tyres and he will take it up with SEAT

Also while making my first post do these engines normally use oil, even with my low mileage of 6k per year I find that the low oil message appears 10 months after servicing and it needs a litre of oil.

Now I know eating tyres and oil sound like a thrashed car but it is driven very sensibly (honest!) and I have not experienced these problems with previous cars (X-trail, Rav4). Of course how my wife drives it is anyones guess!

Thanks

Robin Vitiello
19-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi there. I don't know about your particular model, but I have a 1.9tdi Alhambra so not much different.

Firstly yes you need reinforced tyres (sometimes called extra load tyres)
This is due to the increased load they have to bear from the larger vehicle they support.

While 12000 does sound like a low mileage for a tyre, I dont know about your specific tyre, but it could be that they are made from a soft compound and that they just wear quicker. bear in mind that most of the 'strain' is taken on the front tyres ie drive, steering and bulk of braking. You should find the rear ones have a lot more tread left on them.

I have Michelins on mine and while they are not down to the t.w.i yet, my estimate is they will have covered about 15 to 16 K by the time I have to replace them.

In terms of both inner edges of the front tyres wearing, that sounds a lot like your tracking is out. with the tyres 'toeing out' that is that they are aligned so that from the front they are 'pointing out' a little too much That would cause excess wear on the inner edges. This could have been caused either by incorrect setting from new or by the wheels having been kerbed at some point or having gone over a pothole. Any of these things might have knocked the tracking out - it would not need to be by much.
Its worth getting a tracking check on it.

Hope this is of help.

seatfan
17-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi All

I have had my 06 2.0TDI Stylance from new and it has now only covered 12,000 miles. I have noticed that the front tyres are already down to the wear indicators and more worryingly the inner edges of both tyres are completely bald.

The tyres fitted from new are Dunlop Sport 01's 225/45 R17

The car is used for a combination of motorway, A and B roads. Short local journeys are made in our runabout.

Talking to my local tyre dealer about replacements he told me that the tyres must be reinforced for this car and that the Dunlop Sport 01s are not. I therefore have a couple questions for you knowledgeable lot out there!

Can i expect to get more that 12000 miles from a set of front tyres?

Has anyone else got Dunlop Sport 01's fitted from new?

Interestingly I rang my dealer who said the car should indeed have reinforced tyres and that I should get new ones fitted, keep the receipt and the old tyres and he will take it up with SEAT

Also while making my first post do these engines normally use oil, even with my low mileage of 6k per year I find that the low oil message appears 10 months after servicing and it needs a litre of oil.

Now I know eating tyres and oil sound like a thrashed car but it is driven very sensibly (honest!) and I have not experienced these problems with previous cars (X-trail, Rav4). Of course how my wife drives it is anyones guess!

Thanks
Hi, I have the same car, same model from new (Nov 06) and the same tyres. They are in fact reinforced, contrary to what you've been told by your tyre dealer. I do about 20k a year and a set of fronts last on average 16k, so Robin is spot on on his estimation.

I have noticed also the inside tread wears quickly but not quite as badly as my last car (Also an Alhambra bought from new, with 1.9 TDI 130hp). When I had alignment/tracking checked, I was told both tyres were toeing out by a significant margin. I count myself a sensible driver, always taking extra care not to mount kerbs etc, so I suspect the incorrect set up was from new, or the setup is prone to shift under "normal" driving conditions.

As for the rear tyres, they seem to last forever, I am still on my first set and have done 30k, plenty of tread left yet.

Matt1e
26-07-2008, 01:02 AM
the engine is different but the suspension is the same.

I have had sets of tyres on the front run out at 8,000miles. the current ones are just about 12,000 and from seatenthusiats forums of old then this is average !.

if your tyres are wearing on the inside then DO get your alignment adjusted I had a tyre strip the inside and separate the inner wall from the tread.....luckily the ply held together and I noticed and immediately changed it. The other side was nearly as bad.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done, no probs since then.:beerchug:

Pedrostones
15-04-2009, 07:37 PM
hi,there.i have a 2.0 TDI with 65.000kms.buy new at April 2007.in fact the tyres from rear will resist many and many miles or kms..but the tyres from front dont have a great life time...i use Bridgstone but in front i gonna change to a more milleage tyres not so smooth like Nokian or Kmunho.You have to think that the weight is almost at the front