PDA

View Full Version : garage door

hoju99
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Just measured my garage door :(

garage door 211cm

current car - A4 B7 width 194cm
coming Sept - A4 B8 width 201cm

The B7 just fitted (tried it when I moved in) but I park out the front of the house.
Was going to keep the B8 in the garage but looks a bit tight!

RichardCranium
09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Our garage is the same. In fact probably narrower. We can only just get a Suzuki Swift in ours, and to be able to get out of the car comfortably.

May be you an exit the car 'Dukes of Hazzard' style!

hoju99
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Inside the garage is a little wider,but not by much!!!

onzarob
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Cars are getting bigger and garages are getting smaller, my Audi B5 won't fit in, a MK1 golf does, a MG midget does, A Citreon Xsara just fits.

I suppose I shouldn't moan I have a garage:D

moptisam2
10-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Same problem with me. I get my 2005 A4 in thanks to the folding mirrors, so they are a 'must' on the new one that I hope to pick up in a couple of weeks.

hoju99
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Same problem with me. I get my 2005 A4 in thanks to the folding mirrors, so they are a 'must' on the new one that I hope to pick up in a couple of weeks.

moptisam,How wide is your Garage door?

moptisam2
11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
At its narrowest point 220 cms.

I remember measuring a new B8 with the mirrors folded in and at their outer points the distance was 185.

tomtom20
21-06-2008, 03:19 AM
A tip you might like, although it sounds strange at first...

I forget the width of my Garage, but I know it will be just as tight as my previous car (Rover 75) so what I did with that was:

Place two bricks on the floor so drive in and nudge them, knowing you are not about to hit the front bumper on end wall.

Get two square off cuts of carpet. Punch four holes in the corners and use brass washers to prevent the carpet from fraying. Now drill holes matching the holes you punched in carpet in your garage wall. One at the front just in case the bricks get moved, the other at the point your driver's door would touch the side wall. Screw carpet panels to wall.

You can now no longer need worry about scratching paint on door as you open it and also prevents dust from bricks getting on your clothes if you 'squeeze' out of the car once in the garage. I also use a small bit of hardboard on the left nearside, as with a previous car badly scrapped left hand bumper edge on garage door surround.

This may seem over kill, and may be other easier things you can do - but easier than that one evening you come home and end up opening the door into a wall and all the fuss which would ensue to put things right...