PDA

View Full Version : cradle for phone prep low

RichardCranium
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Huddersfield Audi want £100 for a cradle for my Sony Ericsson K800i. £100! Is this right or are they taking the P?

allya
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi, I recently paid exactly that price for a Nokia 6300 cradle from Perth Audi. On saying that I have just swapped it with them for an iPhone cradle, hoping it will be compatible with the 3G units ...

JJAvant
09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I queried this with my dealer last week, as my Avant should be with me by the end of June/early July, and he said all I needed was a Bluetooth phone. He did not mention anything about a cradle ?

HighwayTG
09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I queried this with my dealer last week, as my Avant should be with me by the end of June/early July, and he said all I needed was a Bluetooth phone. He did not mention anything about a cradle ?

As far as I'm aware the cradle is only needed to charge the phone whilst your driving and nothing else. You could save £100 and just plug the phone into the cigarette lighter.

a8 tech
09-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes correct,its other advantage is hardwired in so phone book transfers if correct firmware.

Not a must have anymore when you have phone prep and not meny people bother with the cradle.

browellm
09-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Huddersfield Audi want £100 for a cradle for my Sony Ericsson K800i. £100! Is this right or are they taking the P?

L O L

They must be tripping. Oh, and you get a full phonebook download, incuding dialled numbers, received calls, and missed calls as long as you have a compatible phone - absolutely no cradle required.

I've got a Nokia 6233 and get the lot.

a8 tech
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM

Richard,i dont have the current phone approval list to hand but ring the audi parts and ask them to check your phone against the list.
Make sure the suggested firmware version is correct and down load from phone makes site to bring it to the correct version.

Sim access profile is the best system as the the phones power levels are reduced and no need for a charger.

neilb
09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Do you know if your dealer can retro fit the bluetooth phone prep (low) and if so how much?

nlb.

a8 tech
09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Dealers can but they require audi uk authority.
You see dealers can only retro fit approved parts with approved fitting locations.
This is a pain for the dealers and a set reporting obligation is in force with most new models.
The basic software changes to allow retro fit require a factory online code to enable hex codes and to adjust the vehicles recorded pr numbers.
The hex codes can be set by vag com 805 via long code helper but and this is important.
Any retro fits that require sw changes that havent been recorded by the factory server may be overwritten by workshop actions (recalls).
If you do retro then notify the workshop prior to any recalls to prevent the coding being altered ie cruise control can be lost if the server imports the standard long code to steering column electrics.
But you can retro phone prep

RichardCranium
09-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Richard,i dont have the current phone approval list to hand but ring the audi parts and ask them to check your phone against the list.
Make sure the suggested firmware version is correct and down load from phone makes site to bring it to the correct version.

Sim access profile is the best system as the the phones power levels are reduced and no need for a charger.

My phone connects to the system as it is, without the cradle. I thought the cradle gave extra functionality?? I havent actually checked all the functions like missed calls etc, so dont know if all that works
I have checked with the dealers parts dept who looked at his lsit and found the correct cradle in stock. How do i know what firmware i require?

a8 tech
10-06-2008, 08:15 AM
right,*,left,left,left,*,2xconfirm.
Firmware needs to be R1BC002.

_steve
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if Audi plan to make available cradles for Blackberry (RIM) handsets ? seems like they're missing a chunk of the market not having adapters to meet the needs of a lot of business users ?

RichardCranium
11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
dont know. its a question i need to ask them too, as we may be over to Blackberry in the near future

browellm
11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
It's unlikely, simply because the global market share of Blackberry handsets compared to say, your typical business Nokia handset is tiny. Agree, it would be great though. Also not sure Blackberry use the full Sim Access Profile for phonebook download, I'll have to try it on my Curve.

a8 tech
11-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Try this2924,as it allows all phones to pair to the phone prep via sap.
The Bluetooth Remote SIM Access Profile (rSAP) cradle adaptor is an enhancement of the factoryfitted
option "Mobile phone preparation - Low". It enables mobile phone handsets to connect via
Bluetooth Remote SIM Access Profile (rSAP) in the same way as handsets connect to the factoryfitted
option "Mobile phone preparation - High".
The Bluetooth rSAP adaptor is fitted to the same connection as all other adaptor cradles (either on
the dashboard or in the front centre armrest). The mobile handset is then connected to the rSAP
cradle via Bluetooth. When handsets are connected, the cradle enables the use of the external GSM
car antenna and deactivates the handset antenna in order to minimise GSM radiation in the car and
handset battery consumption. The handset is put into standby mode so battery power drain is
minimal.
Once connected, the cradle connects to the handset automatically and details of up to four handsets
can be saved. Only handsets with Bluetooth rSAP functionality are compatible with this cradle. Details
of mobile handsets that are compatible with rSAP can be found on audi parts
Customer Benefits
�� The rSAP cradle adaptor is flexible so can be used with a variety of different handsets. This
makes it future proof for compatibility with new handsets
�� “Mobile phone preparation – Low” already has a Bluetooth connection but this only operates in a
mode called “Hands Free Profile”. This means that although calls can be made and received using
the car, the phones antenna and battery are operating at full capacity when making and receiving
calls. The rSAP cradle adaptor uses the cars external antenna and power supply to make and
receive calls which improves call quality and reduces handset battery consumption.
Part Part
Bluetooth rSAP
cradle adaptor
8P0051440

allya
12-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi - Sorry for being thick but can i just check your last response - I have Phone Prep Low ordered for my car. Audi Parts have supplied a cradle in advance for my phone - Nokia 6300 so does this mean I need to change this cradle for another one to ensure rSAP works? Thanks in advance, Ally

Crow
12-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Good question Allya....to add on A8tech..i have also ordered prep Low.....and have Nokia E90...do i need anything else?...or the car will recognise the phone and i will be able to pair them?...please help...a big weak on technology......:)

B6Andy101
12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Dealers can but they require audi uk authority.
You see dealers can only retro fit approved parts with approved fitting locations.
This is a pain for the dealers and a set reporting obligation is in force with most new models.
The basic software changes to allow retro fit require a factory online code to enable hex codes and to adjust the vehicles recorded pr numbers.
The hex codes can be set by vag com 805 via long code helper but and this is important.
Any retro fits that require sw changes that havent been recorded by the factory server may be overwritten by workshop actions (recalls).
If you do retro then notify the workshop prior to any recalls to prevent the coding being altered ie cruise control can be lost if the server imports the standard long code to steering column electrics.
But you can retro phone prep

Yup you can but you'll be rushed "about £500 " Get the Parrot.

a8 tech
12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
6300 should be fine without the cradle,but think you may need the sap adapter for that function.Not sure about e90 will need to refer to phone list.

This new gizmo fits into the cradle docking plate so you dont need to buy the normal cradle.

The photo i took today was a new tt phone prep,and as you can see it just pops onto the docking station like a normal cradle.
Also there is a usb input on the unit but i cant find out why.

belly buster
13-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Just a few bits to add to this thread. To use bluetooth you do not need a cradle. You may find it useful as it can also charge the phone and is wired into the roof fin for better reception.

Cradles are available (at a price!) for standard business phones Nokia being the obvious. No cradles are available for exotic phones like PDAs and blackberrys, except iPhones (for some reason - brand prestige?). There is 12V socket in the armrest so a cheap cig-charger type can be used instead and as its in the armrest doesn't detract from the interior. Also there is a 2nd 12V socket in the ashtray (useful for a sat-nav) and a 3rd in the boot (SE model).

neilb
16-06-2008, 10:09 PM
a8 tech, thanks for your help so far. For the retro fit phone prep low does the dealer need to order any parts or is it just a software change? My dealer simply said "No, cant do, no parts on the system". But he did have the rSAP cradle adaptor listed (as you noted above) at a cost of £300. Nice.

Thanks in advance

nlb.

a8 tech
16-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Ok the dealer wont do it.
If the retro fit hasnt been approved by audi then the dealers hands are tied.(i also cant retro fit without approval)
If you live near manchester area i can put you in touch with someone who can give you a definate answer and he retro fits for audi dealers.
tclsatnav.com

Dont forget any retro fits on b8 may cause issues when the dealer carrys out workshop actions so if you have it done then please make sure the dealers are aware when carrying out any software updates but if craigy does it for you then it should be fine.

neilb
16-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Great thanks for the info. I pop up to Manchester now and then!

nlb.

a8 tech
16-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Also this site may help for locating good retro fitters in the uk
http://www.navplus.us/forums/index.php
very good site

Defiant25
17-06-2008, 07:25 AM
My new s-line came this week but unfortunately arrived with damage to the door. Whilst waiting for the damage to be repaired and before deciding if I should except it, I discussed possible compensation and one of my options was to retrofit the car kit. My dealer has informed my this will be possible. I'd previously asked another Audi dealer and was told no, however no questions were asked on the spec of the car at the time.