PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 1996 Boot Lock Failure

l8_taa
06-01-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm living a nightmare with my boot lock. First of all it would open and close fine on the central locking but not on the key due to the barrel being seized. So I took it to peices, free'd it off and put it all back together. Now the key turns fine both ways, opens and closes the central locking for all the other doors but won't open the boot!

I'm unsure wether the boot is actually unlocking ( I think it is ), or whether its the catch not releasing properly to open the boot. Status is at the moment I can't get in my boot at all. Can anyone advise how else I can get into the boot as I've got some of my work gear in there and don't want to have to force the boot with a drill or a bar to bust it open.

Please advise. Thanks

auiron
07-01-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm living a nightmare with my boot lock. First of all it would open and close fine on the central locking but not on the key due to the barrel being seized. So I took it to peices, free'd it off and put it all back together. Now the key turns fine both ways, opens and closes the central locking for all the other doors but won't open the boot!

I'm unsure wether the boot is actually unlocking ( I think it is ), or whether its the catch not releasing properly to open the boot. Status is at the moment I can't get in my boot at all. Can anyone advise how else I can get into the boot as I've got some of my work gear in there and don't want to have to force the boot with a drill or a bar to bust it open.

Please advise. Thanks

I have the same car as you have, out of action at the moment.

The following may turn out to be rubbish, try it anyway.

Between the Front offside drivers door and the Rear door is a button ( inside of car ). This is used mainly to reactivate the one click action for operating the electric windows. Sometimes this can interfere with the boot activation for some reason. Try pressing it on and off, it should click, with the ignition on.

Also try, pressing in the silver button on the boot, both as you turn the key or press in first and turn the key or turn key and press in button whilst pulling boot at the same time.

l8_taa
07-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Hello, Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried that in hope but had no sucess. The only thing I can think of as i need to get in the boot it remove the number plate, drill a hole big enough to put my fingers through and try and push the latch manually.

Anyone got a better idea before my car goes under the drill?

Thanks

auiron
07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Hello, Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried that in hope but had no sucess. The only thing I can think of as i need to get in the boot it remove the number plate, drill a hole big enough to put my fingers through and try and push the latch manually.

Anyone got a better idea before my car goes under the drill?

Thanks

I will just go and have another look at my 1996N 1.9TDI, unfortunately it doesn't have split rear seats like my later vehicle.
Drillings holes might create worse problems if you fail to get the boot open.
Will be back shortly.

auiron
07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately, the only way to access the boot, without drilling your way in, is to remove the rear seat and unbolt the rear metal plate behind it.

l8_taa
07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Hello, Thanks for your reply. I've had some success. I found that when I took off the rear number plate there was already a hole inline with the lock that when you look through you can see the metal rod that is attached to the boot catch. With some wire fished through so i could pull it closer to the hole i managed to grab it with the long nose plyers and open the boot.

Saved me the big job of taking the seats out anyway! I'm not sure if this hole was suppose to be there or someone has had the same problem before. As soon as the nilon pin holding the rod gets aged and gives up (which is what happened to mine) this is going to be the best way in.

Thanks for all your help and hopefully this may help someone else if they have the same problem. The hole is about 10mm and inline with the boot lock about 30mm down from where the number plate sits.

Again, many thanks

RickT
08-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Between the Front offside drivers door and the Rear door is a button ( inside of car ). This is used mainly to reactivate the one click action for operating the electric windows. Sometimes this can interfere with the boot activation for some reason. Try pressing it on and off, it should click, with the ignition on..

Thats for the alarm and tilt sensors on the B6.. i thought it was the same for the B5.?

RicKT

Maz
17-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Similar, the boot used to open of the remote not anymore was thinking the battery was weak.
With the key it was not opening then me mates had a go and it opened! Seems to be working with the key, the remote would have been nice.
Will be watching this thread

The Progenator
14-07-2014, 03:25 PM
I had something similar on my Audi A4 1.9TDI 1996 model... central locking refusing to work after parking in sunshine, then getting worse and worse. I seldom lock the car anymore but had to do so the other day - and did it by pushing down the buttons on each door separately... sod's law this also locked the boot and I could not open it. I had never had to lock/unlock the boot manually so have no idea when the lock stopped working - the key just turned left or right in the lock with no result.

So I drove the 60 miles home and tried again: This time the key would not turn at all - I mean really not at all, as though it was meant not to. So I fllled the lock with WD40 and gave it some time. Then (with all the doors unlocked so as not to confuse the central locking any further) I hit the boot push button itself repeatedly with a hammer - fairly hard, enough to knock the button right in (it sprang out ok) but not hard enough to damage it. After 20 or so hits I tried the key, re-oiled the lock with WD40 again then kept hitting/tapping away at it. I also put a piece of plywood on the flat boot part over the lock mechanism and hit that a good few times. The idea is to knock loose and free any bits in the lock mechanism that are not where they should be. After doing this a few times, the key started to turn by hand, then a little bit more each time. In all it took me only some 3-5 minutes to free the lock this way so that it works perfectly now and there was no need to drill any holes and no marks are left on the car. Hope this helps someone. cheers all!