PDA

View Full Version : A3 1.6 overheating ?

AdamG
06-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone this is my first post so bear with me please.
I have a 2001 A3 1.6 Se that has started to over heat and lose water.There doesnt seem to be any leaks any where
As I am not that mechanicaly minded I have just drained it and topped up with anti freeze .This still hasnt stopped the overheating.It stays around 108-115.Any ideas?
TIA
Adam

Boardboy
06-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Adam Get the coolant checked for hydrocarbons. I'm sorry but it could be the head gasket.
Good luck Boardboy

RickT
07-01-2007, 12:50 PM
if you check the oil via the OIL cap,, is there like a white cream build up all around the inner old cap..

if so... head gasket....

RicKT

av18tor
12-01-2007, 01:48 AM
The head gasket dosent always force water into the oil, ie. when the gasket has gone between the cylinder and the water jacket. Then you will get pressurisation of the system from the cylinder responsible and more than likely a fair bit of steam out of the exhaust.

There is a brilliant additive, I think made by Holts which not only cures these leaks from the head gasket, it also cures leaks from the oilways into the water aswell. You just add it to the water in the radiator and away you go, they say fixed in minutes. I used some on a leaky MG Midget a couple of years ago and it hasn't leaked or overheated since. It isn't particularly cheap at around £12.00 but its worth a try before going for the gasket at several hunderds.