PDA

View Full Version : Cartax cost for 130PD passat ,next year.

Mike McKinstry
07-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi guys,
Dont know if this is quite the right place to post this so apologies if not.
Just wondering if anyone has been able to find out what the annual tax will be for 130pd next year after all the changes have been introduced.I know the emissions are around 156 which I believe takes it from £135 to £150 next year and then £155 the following year (from memory it still stays in group g but tax goes up for each band) or am I completely wrong??

Just need some piece of mind-a huge hike would devalue all of our vehicles too.

Mike

MalcQV
07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Just a guess (http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/?deriv=20374)

If this is wrong go here and enter the correct details http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

Mike McKinstry
08-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Thank you .Parkers link is a good site especially if you have several cars of different ages and want to check how you will be affected next year.

Looks like I was right with £150/£155 for the premium but we have jumped from group D to group G.
Just need to do something about the price if diesel then!

Mike

passing
09-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Is it not annoying that a tax supposed to reflect the emission from your car actually penalises you simply be when you registered it ? The same car with the same emissions registered before 2001 attracts another £40 tax over one registered a year later. My 115PS TDi PD is the same - it falls into the same emissions band but because it was registered in 2000 I have to pay £40 and rising extra road tax.

It is even worse for me because working from home a lot of the time my mileage is low whilst, for instance, a taxi driver pays the same tax for many tens of thousands of miles in a year (no offence guys !). For that matter what emissions do trucks put out and yet they do not pay "road tax" in proportion to their emissions - which of course we end up paying anyway - and that might shift freight back onto the (failing) railways as an environmental;y friendly move.

I support the emission tax being incorporated into the fuel duty, and preferably being extracted from it so that it is not increased, if it is truly a green tax for environmental projects. This would catch the high mileage high consumption, and therefore high emitters, much more effectively.

MalcQV
09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Passing, I too support a "pay as you go". I have said before an R8 sat in the garage not running puts out less C02 than a Bluemotion Polo out on the road running! Mind you the price of fuel would make you think they have already implemented it.

The other side of the coin to your dilemma. I have a 1983 car 3.0 V8 20mpg tops no Cats (who knows the C02??) and the road tax is cheaper than the Passat (insurance is too) is now. The difference will be around £100 by 2010. My mate has a 1970 6.3Litre V8, again no Cats, and yes you guessed £0 tax.

The government did or do say that classic cars are used less, which is true and puts us right back to our original statement ;)

passing
09-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I agree on the classic cars and smile whenever the guy in the PO asks how I want to pay for the tax on my 1972 Land Rover (horribly inefficient - for 200 miles a year) and my 1972 Norton which is not much better but does 1000 miles a year. I would not mind the tax being included in the fuel for these pleasure vehicles.

But then they also took away the 25 year qualification and made it 1972 or older so denying future classics the benefit of zero road tax (unless painted red and carrying hoses).

Yes pay as you go but re-direct a portion the already heavy tax burden towards green projects in order to offset all the damage that we motorists supposedly cause.

Fixing the roads would be a good start so that we can all drive more fuel efficiently.

MalcQV
09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
With you on that. I think it was the labour government that stopped the rolling 25 year road tax exception.