PDA

View Full Version : Paint Scratch

andy2
06-01-2007, 08:51 PM
A "nice person" has keyed my A4 - phantom black. It's quite a deep scratch - about 6 inches long - on one of the back doors. Does anybody have recommendations of where I could get it fixed- and any idea of cost?

RickT
07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Hi there,.

Were abouts do you live??

Also... it not just a case of touching up the scratch if its deep... you will have to get the area sprayed and then blended... I would say about £200 all in..

RicKT

andy2
07-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm in South West London.

Hard to tell how deep it is but it seems to have gone deep enough to expose the (white?) coating under the black coat.

Thanks for the answer though- I'll see what the dealer says.

jp_paul
07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Get these guys in: http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/

They are top notch, fast and reasonably priced. I've used them in the past and you can't tell where they've touched up. First class.

Jp

av18tor
08-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Sapia motors in Woking are the D's B's... If you are that side of london... PM me if you want the number.

andy2
09-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Main Dealer have quoted £628 to do this- strip and respray damaged panel, respray and blend front door, supply replacement fittings and badges etc. Told me the paint alone costs £140.

Chipsaway are supposed to be coming to do a quote next week but not sure if they can do a scratch which is this deep?

av18tor
10-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Hello again,

that quote does sound excessive. If I were you I would give Sapia's a call on 01483772581 and see what they quote. They are by far the best I have ever used and very reasonable too. I would go as far as saying their work is outstanding.

They are on the mainline rail to London so getting home whilst they do the work shouldn't be a problem either. Ask for Joe.

Bajie
11-01-2007, 12:49 PM
I highly recommend these guys LittleKnocks (http://www.littleknocks.co.uk/)

You can send them a picture of the damage and they will give you a very accurate quote.
Their work is invisible. You can see some before/after pictures on the website.
they are car enthusiasts who take pride in their work.

Whichever way you go, I hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Sam
19-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Main Dealer have quoted £628 to do this- strip and respray damaged panel, respray and blend front door, supply replacement fittings and badges etc. Told me the paint alone costs £140.

Chipsaway are supposed to be coming to do a quote next week but not sure if they can do a scratch which is this deep?

With regard the depth of a scratch, Chipsaway can and did on my Passat.

My post on this subject (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1290766&postcount=14)

patrick
20-01-2007, 04:47 AM
That is hard to tell. With black, it is extremely difficult to get it all to match right. Just "patching" the scratch and polishing it out could leave you with some nasty circle marks from the buffer. Repainting may show a different black hue in different sunlight. If you have a good bodyman he may be able to paint it up to a body line and blend it from there. That would probably be the best result.

A helpful hint for silver though is to fill the scratch with clear. Works perfectly on silver.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.audia4mods.com)

paul46
17-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Did you get a quote / repair from chipsaway?

Regards, Paul

andy2
19-02-2007, 10:31 AM
No, not in the end. Took it to the dealer who did all the work above, as I wasn't confident that just a localised repair would do the trick.

As it is, the respray is immaculate and invisible- looks as good as new, so I'm really pleased with it.

paul46
19-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, Andy. I might pop down to the dealers for a quote.