PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning off bird poo?

Jimp45
07-06-2008, 05:58 PM
I had to give my car a good scrub down today since it got COVERED in bird crap where it was parked yesterday :mad:
I got it all off with some cloth and water, but some of it was a bit tough and some spots weren't left overly shiny. Is there a better way to clean it off?

JustinM3
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Soak it with a detailing spray or similar, then try to hose or rinse it off as much as possible.
It's full of grit etc, so very easy to scratch the paint if you try to rub it off.
Is evil bird ****.

DEBBIE.G
13-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Wet a cloth with very hot water and leave it on the poo for a few minutes before you wash the car.

Hex69
13-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Ask dansansome (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=28832):biglaugh:

dansansome
13-06-2008, 10:54 AM
lol, im watching this thread intently.

i was lucky enough to get home before most of it (LINK) (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39498) had baked itself to the paintwork (and windows...and dashboard...and leather seats...and sister) so it just came off pretty easy with a damp cloth.

JustinM3
13-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Don't know what the pigeons at work eat....
One time, I'd sealed the car on the sunday, went to work at 6am and was poo on it, got home at about 12 and washed it off, and it had etched the lacquer.
So about 6 hours on freshly sealed paint, evil!

Ben
13-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Ask dansansome (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=28832):biglaugh:

i just saw this thread and thought to put the same, then i opened the thread and you'd beat me to it.

Hex69
13-06-2008, 02:34 PM
i just saw this thread and thought to put the same, then i opened the thread and you'd beat me to it.

great minds think alike:beerchug:

Christian6984
28-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Ice Cubes, or get a spare wash mitt and sit it in shampoo and let is soak for a while.

chrissy077
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
the trick is to do it as soon as you see it, dont leave it any longer, as it depends on what the evil thing has eaten, warm water and leave it for 5-10mins will do the trick.

Moodshadow
17-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi,

I have quite a few "burns" on the roof and other areas of my A3 - metallic cherry red. - Take it from people's experiences that there is no way of removing this without professional respray?

Also anyone recommend a good product to remove general road film, dead bugs etc you get on the bonnet etc?

Cheers

Christian6984
18-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi,

I have quite a few "burns" on the roof and other areas of my A3 - metallic cherry red. - Take it from people's experiences that there is no way of removing this without professional respray?

Also anyone recommend a good product to remove general road film, dead bugs etc you get on the bonnet etc?

Cheers

Hiya
If the bird poo etched into the lacquer, then it is hard to remove, machine polishing can hide somewhat, (as could the possibility of wet sanding?)

To remove traffic film, APC (all purpose cleaner (supermarket) with different dilution ratios) this will also remove the wax protection. it should work for flies, i used to use Autoglym Active insect remover its ok but nothing special.

What ever u can do to soak them helps, i.e a spray bottle with a shampoo mix in spray on, or kitchen roll/microfibres dampen and this should soften the bugs and they come of much easier.

Christian

Desertfish
19-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Take your car to a company that does machine waxing for you. It's much cheaper to do that than get a respray and might just to the trick.

Other than that, get it machine waxed once a year. Might cost you around £100 a pop but it will keep your car a lot better protected from insects and bird poo. Also, when there is poo on the bodywork, don't wait too long to clean it off. Bird poo contains acids that are reating into the paintwork (hence the patches). One easy way to clean poo of your car (if it is already hardened) is to take an old cloth, soak it in warm water and put it on top of the ... for a while to soak.

One way to get insects of your car easily is to wax the bonnet and front bumper once a month. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it does mean that the little buggers don't stick to the paintwork as easily so it's a lot faster to get them cleaned off without having to scrub hard and potentially damaging the paintwork of your car in the process.

A80UDI
27-07-2008, 12:36 PM
if the poo has etched the paint there is no way of fully removing it without it being re-sprayed. There are, though, ways of disguising it. What you want to do is not try to get the colour the same, but the shine of the paint the same. What i mean by this, is when the acid in the devil poo has damaged the paint, it dulls it, so a descent machine polish with g3 or g4 then a few layers of wax should hide it a bit.

If you try to touch it in to match the colour, you will see the added paint breaking the shine making it more noticeable.

This always tends to work better on lighter coloured cars, i left my Audi on my mum's drive while i went to Germany for a few weeks & found a monster of a dollup on the quarter panel. With it being white, after a good polish it was hardly noticeable. If it was a black car for example, it would stick out alot more because of the stain it created.

I hope this helps a little :p

source
05-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm sure autoglym do a birdpoo spray, that you spray and then just wipe off???

worth a trip to Halfords to find out

GarJE
08-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I just keep a microfibre cloth/small bottle of water in the boot to use when I spot a new work of modern art on my car.

Afection2Detail
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I just keep a microfibre cloth/small bottle of water in the boot to use when I spot a new work of modern art on my car.

That is the best solution :D

MSC
15-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Hiya
If the bird poo etched into the lacquer, then it is hard to remove, machine polishing can hide somewhat, (as could the possibility of wet sanding?)

To remove traffic film, APC (all purpose cleaner (supermarket) with different dilution ratios) this will also remove the wax protection. it should work for flies, i used to use Autoglym Active insect remover its ok but nothing special.

What ever u can do to soak them helps, i.e a spray bottle with a shampoo mix in spray on, or kitchen roll/microfibres dampen and this should soften the bugs and they come of much easier.

Christian

Soaked some bird isht off my blue A4's roof to find that there is a white mark left there and the surface feels rough - is this likely to be damage to the topcoat or will it have got down to the actual paint/primer/bodywork?

I take it that regular waxing will keep the area "safe" until I can get it professionally sorted?

M

Afection2Detail
15-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Any chance of a photo. Best bet atm is to get some wax on it to stop the area coming into contact with the air/rain.

How long was it left on there for?

MSC
15-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Any chance of a photo. Best bet atm is to get some wax on it to stop the area coming into contact with the air/rain.

How long was it left on there for?

Will see what can do re photo, but was left on for a week (it was parked in drive whilst i was out of town).

GarJE
08-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I know this is disgusting, but I'm sure bird **** gets more acidic this time of year because they eat more blackberries.

Jeremy23
10-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Fizzy water is good to shift bird **** and bugs off the paintwork. I keep a bottle in the car and a cloth ready for when I spot some!

STEWY L
10-01-2009, 04:12 PM
air rifle.
stop at source.
regards,
stewy.
p.s. i have the barn owl trust in my "favourites"

tlionhart
13-01-2009, 05:54 PM
all i can say;

Autoglym bird droppings wipe

Only available from detailers, but go on the autoglym site and it should point you in the right direction. Costs £4 a pack for 8 wipes...a great instant product! Also a great product for removing stubborn insects stuck to the front.