PDA

View Full Version : Not your standard battery drain

mattkerton
07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi there, can anyone help with this, please?

I have a problem with battery drain on my '52 Alhambra 115 TDi, but it's not due to the usual culprits, e.g. dodgy battery or some slow drain somewhere in the car. I've checked through all the posts, but none relate to my problem.

The background goes like this. The battery is absolutely fine (tested, keeps charge for ages when left standing etc). There's also no slow drain on the car - it can be left un-driven for weeks with the battery connected and it's fine, great voltage, turns over quickly, starts first time etc.

I get problems when I've been loading luggage into the car over a few hours, i.e. with doors opened and closed. When I then try to start the car, the battery's so flat there's no hope of turning the engine over.

At first I thought it was the auxiliary heater glow plug or something, however it also happens without the key anywhere near the ignition. The courtesy lights turn off after a few minutes if the doors are left open, so I can't believe it's those flattening the battery.

My only other hunch is that the car's doing something "clever", i.e. I've heard of some newer diesels starting the engine glow plugs as soon as the driver's door is opened, to save time waiting for the sequence/dash light to go out.

Does anyone know of any "clever" electrical stuff that might be happening or linked to the doors, or have any other suggestions please?!

Many thanks

Matt

MGT
22-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi
Got same problem!!
had a ECU test and as showed that are several circuits open...like : cooling fan circuit open/sort on ground....abs circuit open only works below 12mph...air con also got about 6 error codes with it regarding electric problems ..apart from that its a brillinat car and run great problem is now if its stop for more than 3 days without running battery goes flat!

Alihambra
08-09-2011, 07:59 PM
How old is the battery? When they get old the form deposits which gather a silt in bottom of battery, when they build up they touch plate and cause a short,it will not turn the car over and this will cause all sorts of error codes right thru the system but should not effect the running unless you do have a problem they will just be recorded. Sounds like as the car gets loaded its enough to do this, you be lucky to see 5 years out of a battery. Good Luck.

govman333
12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
similar issue broken loom in tailgate check for broken wires in loom casing by hinge where its exposed

landrover
08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi
This may be relevant or not.
Had same kind of fault with a Renault Grande Scenic and after some detective work ( and two new batteries ) it turned out to be a faulty camshaft sensor which was failing occasionally in the "open" position allowing the battery to discharge. It seems that modern cars need all of the battery voltage to turn the engine over.
In all fairness a diagnosis at a local auto electrician did show up the faulty camshaft sensor but as the car was running fine when it started the fault was totally ignored.

Alihambra
18-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Check the main earth connection on front of engine!Trace down from battery behind left head light and it is on front off engine were gear box joins you can see it and chances are with all the vibration from engine it will be loose.13mm spanner nip up all you eletric probs will be gone, hopefully.While your there you could check main earth under battery tray. Good Luck.