PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal stuck down!

Jonny Chee
07-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi,

Last night after applying the brakes harder than usual when stopping, my 2001 1.9 TDi lost all power and I panicked! I then realised it was because the brakes were stuck on as the pedal was stuck down. I managed to force it back up and it made a 'clicking' noise as if something was keeping it down. It then drove fine but if I apply them extra hard again the same thing happens.

It is also worth noting that when I first purchased the car (two weeks ago) the brakes made a 'squelching' noise first thing in the morning for a couple of days but this has not happened since. I presumed it was because the car had been stood for a while.

Any ideas?

BLASTER
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi there, I don’t want to alarm you, but, I had this problem last year, it turned out that the vacuum pump had failed due to a crack in the hose connection, this in turn lead to a nightmare scenario some lunatic could have dreamed up, which ended up being due to the servo filling up with water as the joint sealing it had corroded allowing the water in that collected in the plenum chamber due to the drains being blocked with sludge. :aargh4:

I’d take the car back if were you and have it fully checked out.:fing02:

Good luck.

Jonny Chee
07-06-2008, 11:52 AM
What sort of scenario? An accident?

When you say take the car back do you mean to a VW garage? Obviously I can't take it back to the person I bought it from cos it was 'sold as seen'.

Mike McKinstry
07-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Sounds similar to other posts on here under "squelchy brakes"etc and has been water ingress to servo .
I would have a read up on here .
In meantime check if there is water in plenum chamber and if so drain this to prevent further damage.

Mike

BLASTER
08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
What sort of scenario? An accident?

When you say take the car back do you mean to a VW garage? Obviously I can't take it back to the person I bought it from cos it was 'sold as seen'.

Yes an accident!
I very nearly became the victim of this problem, travelling to work one morning I had to brake hard as the lorry in front of me came to a sudden stop, my pedal stayed down and the brakes locked causing the car to pull off the road, this was to happen a few more times until I found out that this model passat has a very big problem with water getting into the servo unit and causing all sorts of problems, the garage I used at the time failed to locate the problem time after time, it was only by reading other peoples experiences on this site that revealed this particular problem to me, anyway, as has already been said , read all the threads on here and you’ll soon get to the bottom of your problem, had you mentioned in your thread that you had bought your car sold as seen then I would have been more specific in my last reply, if you cannot solve the problem yourself, you should take your car along to a reliable independent garage to have it fully checked over (brakes servo/ vacuum pump)etc, VW will have your eyes out, you would be well advised to clear the drain holes in the plenum chamber ASAP, you will need to remove the battery & battery tray to do this, ounce again, good luck you’ll find all the info on this site as to how to do it.;)

Jonny Chee
10-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Took it to an independant today (who didn't even have VAG-COM!) and he said brakes feel fine so until it gets worse its hard to say, he suggested possible master cylinder. So I phoned the dealer who will diagnose tomorrow (for £70). On the way back the brakes stuck again only this time I struggled to force the pedal back up. When I eventually did it clicked and the pedal went loose but the brakes were still applied and the brake lights were stuck on.

Have had to take out the fuse until tomorrow when I go to VW otherwise I will have a flat battery. Now the pedal goes down loosely quite far (about 6 inches) and there is only a bit of resistance near the bottom.

Looks like I am going to be at VW's mercy tomorrow!

I mentioned in another thread that since forcing my pedal back the first time I get a flashing glow plug light and ENGINE WORKSHOP warning. Both the independant and VW (on the phone) think I have damaged brake light switch.

Anybody have any further information on what my problem might be in light of new symptoms?

Thanks.

mwvw
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Have a search on Brake switch and also have a look at this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1158315 as it seems that you may also need a new brake switch

Jonny Chee
13-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Wonderful! Needed new servo, new brake light switch, new brake pedal and fittings. A grand total of £800 including diagnosis.

Great start to Passat life! :mad:

Crasher
14-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Make sure the plenum chamber drains are clear, it is water filling up the chamber that causes this problem.