PDA

View Full Version : Gamma radio/ hands-free kit help needed please

oshy1981
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi,

I've just bought an 02 plate passat that has a gamma radio/cassette with a nokia hands free kit fitted to it.

the problem is that i can't get the radio to turn on at all and i think it's something to with the hands free kit as there's a wire from the phone holder that looks to be going to the back of the radio.

can anyone help at all?

cheers.

Eclipse car Audio
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
The wire going to the unit will most likely be the phone mute wire try disconnecting it to see if the radio now works

Does the display on the radio have anything on it( radio station name etc)

oshy1981
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM
no, the radio is completely dead. no sound, display or anything.

i'll have to get a key to remove the radio to take the wire out i think? once i've done that i'll let you know.

cheers.

john493
07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
If the radio is completely dead, unlikely to be the phone kit that's causing it.
If the phone kit was muting the Gamma head unit, it would display "phone" on the screen.
Check the supply to the radio first, also make sure you've got the code 'cause you might need to enter it - it's inside the front cover of the Gamma handbook.

fraser33
02-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I have the same situation with a Nokia hands-free kit in my '02 Passat Sport TDi, however the gamma radio etc had been working fine till the other night.

What happened was, my mobile already had the bluetooth activated and normally, when I turn on the ignition, it would automatically pair with the hands-free kit. This time however, the display on the radio kept indicating 'TP Phone'. After a few seconds, this would usually disappear and the radio/cd whatever would continue to play. Unfortunately, it seems to have got locked into a loop, whereby it is constantly trying to pair. As a result, the radio does not work at all ie no sound plays from whichever source is selected, it always shows the 'TP Phone' message.

I've tired all the obvious things I can think of, such as switching the radio off, 'un-pairing from all devices', switching off the phone's bluetooth etc etc.

The car was bought with the kit already installed, and I don't have the code for the radio, although I could get this form a dealer if required.

Not that I know how just yet, but I'm wondering if I should disconnect the radio (disconnect the battery I assume?) and see if that resets the radio/hands-free kit.

Any suggestions out there please?

Cheers

Fraser

Eclipse car Audio
02-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Firstly I would try to reset the Nokia Kit - if you know where the box has been installed just unplug the power lead from the box (four pin white plug) leave for about 30 seconds then plug back in and try re pairing the phone and see what happens.

Does the kit turn off with the ignition as I have been out to a few lately where they have been wired in permanently in this case disconnecting the unit cured the problem they had then it was just a case of wiring it in properly.

fraser33
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I don't know where the box itself has been installed, but I'll clearly have to locate it! How big a unit are these things usually? My one is a Nokia CK-7W or something like that. (Are these things usually fitted inboard or under the bonnet?)

I have the installation manual, so I should be able to source the main power lead to it.

Re your last qu: I noticed that the LEDs on the CD player remained on after I'd switched off and locked the car, so I removed all the CDs and the lights now do go out. Does that suggest therefore that it's been permanently wired?

Cheers again.

F

Eclipse car Audio
03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
The box is about 5"x 3 " and about 0.50 inch high and grey. they are mounted inside the car usually behind the radio, glovebox, centre console etc you should have a red,black ,blue and green wires coming out of them. Red being 12v, Black is ground, blue is switched 12v and green is the mute to the radio iirc.

fraser33
03-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks very much for the info. and assistance. I'll check it out as soon as I can get some decent lighting down there. Hopefully, it'll just be something simple.

F