PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav MMI vs Standard MMI - Thread for pedants

AndyH123
06-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi,

There have been hints on a couple of other threads that the MMI experience differs more than you may think depending on whether you have Sat Nav or not (at least that seems to be the deciding factor).

I had a demo car for a while yesterday while mine was in the garage, I noticed that the MMI experience was subtly different -

1 - Less rounded fonts (bit like the resolution on the screen was lower)

2 - Jerkier scrolling (e.g. when the list of radio stations sorts itself)

From the other threads, it seems the B&O options differ too. The demo didn't have B&O so I couldn't confirm.

I think the literature is pretty unclear around these points which may seem minor to some, but I'd have been annoyed if I test drove a Sat Nav car and was promised the same experience in a non-Sat Nav vehicle. Thought it might be worth gathering all evidence here.

I should've taken some comparison photos.. oh well. Anyone else pedantic enough to care out there...?!

browellm
06-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi,

Anyone else pedantic enough to care out there...?!

Threads like these are what make the community what it is. Let's face it, if you are going to talk about your car on a forum to a bunch of strangers, you're likely to obsess over the details, no matter how small.

I'd be amazed if there was a single person outside of Audi Germany that either knows or is willing to talk to punters about stuff like this. It's all good stuff.

I remember when I had my 5-Series, my pet obscure subject was performance of the TMC module on the sat-nav that seemed to vary between firmware revisions. - Weirdo! :p

AndyH123
06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Haha, great post - I feel better now!! :)

BMWBig6
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Which version had the less rounded fonts? SatNav, or standard?

RichardCranium
06-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm as pedantic as they come. I think i have a car version of OCD:o.

AndyH123
06-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Which version had the less rounded fonts? SatNav, or standard?

Standard.