PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Sharan location of glow plug relay?

SeanieMac
06-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi Lads - I'm new, hope someone can help.
I have a 1999 Sharan 1.9TDI 90 BHP - I think that there isn't any current getting to the glow plugs. Engine will need 6 / 7 turns to start from cold and then I get a plume of white smoke when it does start. No problem starting a warm engine. I've replaced the glow plugs and no imprvement. I have been told to check the glow plug fuse and relay but I can't locate these in the fusebox on RHS of steering column.
Any ideas where they might be?
Thanks
SeanieMac

bilal aslam
24-02-2007, 08:02 PM
hi i am new to this site i have got a problem with my vw sharan tdi which is a t reg the problem is it is not starting i have had the glow plugs tested they are ok i have changed the glowplug relay which is located in a very difficult place under the fuse box then i took it to the electrition he disconected the temp sender and told me to replace that after he disconnected that the car war ok but the temp gauge stopes working i then replaced the temp sender and when i put the connector back on the same problem occured the glowplugs are not getting warm enough the glowplug light goes out very quickly . i have disconnected the temp sender again and i am getting the car started temprerily so if any one knows or has had this problem please let me know :1zhelp: thanks

zorgman
14-01-2008, 09:52 PM
hi
u can test that supply is at the glowpugs by connecting a 12v bulb to it at least u know if voltage is the. on my sharan the glowplugs have had a aux relay put under the bonnet to give a better supply to them i get instant start in this weather

gareth29.
30-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi, I'm having the same problem starting my 2002 Sharan tdi (though only intermittently). I have bought a new relay, taken the area around the fusebox to bits, but still cant find any relays!!! Can anyone help?

kenney
30-10-2008, 07:35 PM
What is your engine code?

gareth29.
30-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi, its AUY, thanks.

kenney
31-10-2008, 11:40 AM
The glow plug relay is in position 5 on the lower relay carrier behind the multifunction unit, from model year 2002.and it is marked 103

gareth29.
31-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Cheers, thanks for your help - I'll have to have another look behind the dash.

willis62
29-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Would this also cause the glow plug lamp to flash whilst driving?

kenney
29-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi No there will be a fault code logged in the ECU and you will need a fault code read to find out what it is.A common fault which activates the control light is when the brake lights fail,due, usually to a faulty brake light switch.