PDA

View Full Version : Engine management light came on

curiousgeorge
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
This came on for a few days then went out again.

Anyone know what this could mean? Audi said it has to be lit for them to diagnose it.

Thanks,
George

polo9n
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
THIS CAN BE CAUSE BY MANY REASONS, from engine to exhaust.
last time mine is on which was cause by broken cat converter and cost me €900 to fix.i am not here to scare you mate.
but do keep an eye on the engine, maybe any strange noise from engine may be a hint?or rattle?

devonutopia
05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
VAG com can be used to scan the ECU for issues. If you could get to me in Devon, I'd do it. Also driving up thge M5 and back to Bromsgrove tomorrow morning, if that helps? I carry vag com in the car. :)

curiousgeorge
05-01-2007, 09:59 PM
THIS CAN BE CAUSE BY MANY REASONS, from engine to exhaust.
last time mine is on which was cause by broken cat converter and cost me €900 to fix.i am not here to scare you mate.
but do keep an eye on the engine, maybe any strange noise from engine may be a hint?or rattle?

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

VAG com can be used to scan the ECU for issues. If you could get to me in Devon, I'd do it. Also driving up thge M5 and back to Bromsgrove tomorrow morning, if that helps? I carry vag com in the car. :)

Thanks for the offer. If you're ever in London let me know!

Actually I think the light has to be on for the fault to be diagnosed and it's currently off.

devonutopia
05-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Actually I think the light has to be on for the fault to be diagnosed and it's currently off.

Nope - the fault will remain on the ECU until it is cleared by vag com / dealer machinery. It merely means the symptoms have gone away (temporarily or permanently) so the light is out. The fault code will still be logged to find out what it was. :)

PS: No offence to London, but I don't plan to go there any time soon. I like my country bumpkin lifestyle here in Devon by the sea. ;)